South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pirate treasure....
For the past few months I have been laid up in the Hobo home. Why you ask? I broke my foot chasing my Rottweiler who was chasing a coyote, and now I'm chasing my Dr. bills :( I've been watching my wife come home with treasure after treasure that she has brought home after cleaning out her father's belongings. He passed away about two years ago. I have posted some of what she has found on the main forum, WW1 medals, some very cool old coins, a Lincoln half dollar and some gold coins.
But these are closet finds and don't really fall in the metal detecting (MD) category. After 8 to 10 weeks the time came to get out and some more digging.
We packed up our gear, one Tesoro Sand Shark , Minelab Safari , sand scoop , plastic snow shovel , two Whites bullseye pin pointers, water, and then headed for the iron laden sand of sunny So Cal. We have miles and miles of beaches and coves to dig. We have area's that have been searched over and over by generations of MDer's so most of our finds are the typical things, pull-tabs, cans, coins, jewelry. On a rare occasion we will find knives and dive tools.
We hit the beach at mid tide, I was working the tide line with my SS and my wife was digging the high tide mark in the dry sand with her Safari. With the SS you have to keep some distance from other machines as they will cause it to start chirping.
I was about 20 yards down the beach when I turned to see how far my wife was from me, which at that time she waved and held up the 2---5 cent sign. "GOOD", I thought. I kept working my way down the beach. After about 30 mins I thought what the heck is she digging back there? She had been in the same place for the whole time. My first thought was she has likely come upon some large object and needs some help digging it out. As I got closer to her she gave me the thumbs up sign and looked very excited. She was in an area about 8x8 feet square and had not left.
She said "there are too many signals and you are not gonna believe what I just found". Yep she was right ! She found a Walking Liberty Half. She located it wedged between some rocks about 8" deep . We NEVER get this kind of stuff unless someone drops it from a piece of jewelry, but there it was!
Next she said, "I'm getting so many signals: 35,36,38,40 all high tone stuff, can you help "? The Safari was struggling with all the Info it was picking up on. I had her shut it off and started going through the area with the Sand Shark. The SS started picking up all kinds of signals, something must be wrong, too many signals in such a small area, something large, "its got to be black sand" I said. She had already dug about 4 coins and thought that there were more , so she just start moving her pin-pointer and picking out targets and digging. She dug out a Wheatie and then a few more coins. "Keep digging", I said.
We spent the next two days digging the same 8x8 patch of beach, we pulled out about 125 coins!

1 Walking liberty
1 Ben Franklin
1 Mercury Dime
1 1944 "P" Nickel 35% silver
3 pre 64 Rosies
1 1960 .25 cent
1 1940 nickel
7 wheaties.

The oldest that we could read was the 1940 nickel and the newest was a 2014 roosevelt dime. The Liberty and Mercury are unreadable.
Also found 2 bullets "spent" and a headless Mermaid pendant. And a sterling silver turquoise bracelet.

The area was found using the Minelab, but most of the specific targets with the Sand Shark. Some of the coins were found under large slab type rocks; a few in the So Cal beach tar. There are more targets there I'm sure and we will be going back as soon as the crowds are gone. There is still Pirate treasure out there. HH.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

OP
OP
Hobojo

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more of my digging buddy.
She has a Cibola which she loves to use too.

image.jpeg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One more of my digging buddy.
She has a Cibola which she loves to use too.

View attachment 1320293

Wait one... You were chasing a dog, that was chasing a coyote, that was chasing a roadrunner - When you could have been chasing Her around the house? What is WRONG with you dude? :skullflag:

OP
OP
Hobojo

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very impressive finds. Wonder how it all came together?

We have been trying to wrap our minds around that one too. It could have something to do with wave action and currents. The age of the coins? 2014 to 1940? Most these coins have been the sand and soil for a very long time.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
What's right above that area? Is there a sort of lookout, where maybe some people might toss a coin and make a wish?

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moral of the Story----"Don't chase a Rottweiler when you can SWING a Machine".:laughing7:
Marvin

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very nice finds congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hobojo

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's right above that area? Is there a sort of lookout, where maybe some people might toss a coin and make a wish?
we also thought of that and have looked at Google maps, we did'nt see any trails or anything that might indicate an area of interest to people.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
we also thought of that and have looked at Google maps, we did'nt see any trails or anything that might indicate an area of interest to people.

....Interesting. But not interesting enough to get me back to California again......EVER! :cussing:

OP
OP
Hobojo

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....Interesting. But not interesting enough to get me back to California again......EVER! :cussing:

Ha, ha, ha, whats there not to love about the land of "fruits and nuts", the PRC
Peoples Republic of California.
We have a very safe state, due to our very strict gun laws.
Did you see the emperors new clothes?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...Let's just say I had a number of bad experiences there a couple years back. Scam doctors shortened my cancer-stricken Dad's life by months. Then, doctors wanting to keep pushing treatments, KNOWING they would do no good - other than to separate a dying person from his money; THEN, to have tips for cab fare figured in automatically whether the cabbie was deserving or not, and THEN to have the cabbies still ASK for a tip on top of that! There were a few nice folks - buy only the ones that weren't in a position to profit off of us.

My apologies on taking this from humorous to serious - but that's how it was. For more on the story, I wrote up a post somewhere in another thread. I'm sure there's a lot of good and decent folks in California, but we didn't happen to meet many of them.

OP
OP
Hobojo

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The story continues...
We have had an epic California winter with plenty of Pacific storms. These storms will strip most beaches of sand which always expose's the goodies. The site continues to give up it's treasure.
New finds,
53 more coins.
6 more silvers
1 1944 mercury dime
3 quarters 1945, 46, 48
2 Roosevelt's dimes, date unreadable.
The 1946 quarter is fused to a large fishing weight.
We also found more old bullets .38, .45 and .22 cal.
IMG_2805.JPG
IMG_2806.JPG

Totals to date,
178 coins.
13 silvers.
5 bullets.
1 silver bracelet.
Plated gold ring.
Again we used the Sand Shark (SS) and the Safari.
To be fair the Minelab Safari is a very good machine but really struggles in the iron sand. I caught her more than once digging ghost signals. Also the Safari and SandShark don't play well together. The SS will pick up on ANY VLF coming from ANYTHING, so be forewarned the SS is very sensitive and should be used alone. I had to have her shut off the Safari at times so we could see if there was anything in the hole she was digging.
The SandShark is like having X-ray vision. The SS found one of the Rosie's under 4" of solid sandstone and then another 8" inches of damp, salty, iron infused sand. Thats impressive. The SS will find anything in the 12" range no problem, I've seen it with my own eyes. Yes! it will find everything but thats the fun part, you just never know what it might be.
Here's to Tesoro Sand Shark one of the best beach detectors on the planet.
To be continued...

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. After reading your story, I've made the decision to get my boat in the water this afternoon and MD a large exposed sandbar. About 3 miles up river from my home.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Continuation 4 hrs later:
Fount nothing on that sandbar but pull tabs, beer cans, pop tops, and lead.

Daggum! ! It...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread