What's new

There must be a way to block new members from posting links.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2013
Messages
4,210
Reaction score
8,042
Golden Thread
1
Location
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Require new members to wait a week (or even a month) before they can post links here. That would stop these fools dead in their tracks.
 
Good call....
Cuz it's only a matter of time before I go to Bulgaria to smack a guy upside the head.
 
Good call....
Cuz it's only a matter of time before I go to Bulgaria to smack a guy upside the head.

I'll take ya on my private jet when it's out of the required maintenance requirements (I'm late). But have you now moved "right"? If so get back and we'll make some plans.
 
It's been an issue as well in another (non detecting) board I frequent. My suggestion was to require the first post of a new member be read by a mod before it can post. That way the spammers get deleted before they hit the the boards.
 
Left....
Right....
I don't know....call me down the middle.
I am happy just being known as a detectorist who wants to start a fight with spammers...
Brad, I'm your man.
 
These is no way we could delete all of them with out everyones help in reporting them. You guys/gals know who you are. Admn did a lot of changes in the hopes to slow them down. But take heart as it actually takes a long time for these guys to register sign in and and copy paste the post and we delete them and their I.P with one click of a button.
It is happening on a lot of sites but here we are lucky we have a solid community that hates their guts stands together and does help us fight !
Happy Hunting!
TnMtns
 
Report all spam!
 
I'll be your hero-

Spam eating crusader.webp
 
Require new members to wait a week (or even a month) before they can post links here. That would stop these fools dead in their tracks.

I'm with you in that I hate spammers, also. That said, I very much disagree with your idea. Even Jeff has mentioned how sometimes someone will register and lay low for as much as a year, then all hell breaks loose. ...Don't think that 1-week probation would help matters then. And then how would it look to suddenly have 1-year-long members that suddenly seem to turn on the forum? Those who know what's going on (or care) would understand. Many wouldn't.

On GPEX, there's a rule that you don't become a full member until after your 2nd post (it's an automatic thing though). Still doesn't stop the spammers, but then it's not nearly as active as here. But everyone hates spammers there with a passion!

In any case, if someone signs up to be a member, they should have the chance to prove themselves. Sometimes that simply means lurking in the shadows reading, but not being involved. That's fine. Others (like me) end up getting involved, even at times when he (I) should keep his (my) mouth shut! :laughing7:
 
Require new members to wait a week (or even a month) before they can post links here. That would stop these fools dead in their tracks.

On another detecting site I am on the owner has it set up that a new member has to have "X" number of posts before a link can be posted in a thread. Sometimes legit links/pix get caught in the trap and are manually allowed after getting checked out. The Admins are also doing manual registration to check IPs.
 
On another detecting site I am on the owner has it set up that a new member has to have "X" number of posts before a link can be posted in a thread. Sometimes legit links/pix get caught in the trap and are manually allowed after getting checked out. The Admins are also doing manual registration to check IPs.

Now THAT'S a great idea!! :thumbsup:EDIT - After thinking, look at how many newbies sign up and make just one or two posts, just so they can get help with a single item. This idea, while normally very awesome, would stop those newbies in their tracks, probably hurt on new "good" members, and would tax the Mods quite much.
 
Last edited:
No one really needs to post links here. You can post photos and videos of your finds without the use of links. Taking away that feature from newbies won't cause any hardship, unless you're a spammer.
 
occasionally the server catches a newbie adding a link
and sends it to limbo till we get to decide if it's a link to a pic in a photo sharing site
like photo bucket or spam. but some how these spammers only get caught up on rare occasions
 
Like me, I'm sure there are a few other future new members who don't know the ins-n-outs of posting on forums. Took me quite a while to figure out how to post a pic. I've seen a few newbies that had a pic posted on a different site (like imgur, for example....whatever THAT is!) who would post that link and ask a question. Stopping all links from first-timers would make it quite difficult for many folks to come here and ask their question. That's the point I was trying to make.

Btw, why was it I was not familiar with internet? Because we had been 100% without internet for over 15 years! ...Sure has changed a lot!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom