These are cool

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got around to looking at these dusty old rock kit I got in that collection I bought, I'd say 1960's or so. Pretty cool selection in them, probably some would not be included in kits today like cinnabar, galena and asbestos maybe others, in fact should I encapsulate the hazardous ones?

rock kit3.jpg

rock kit2.jpg

rock kit1.jpg

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
They are cool. Leave them as is. It won't hurt anyone unless you grind it up and breathe it..(asbestos,etc,)

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, be just fine leaving that collection as it is. Nice recovery from the attic.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx. Wondering about the labeling as well, a couple don't look right. Also I cant find any info on "pearlite" maybe its an out dated name for what ever it is?

Yep, be just fine leaving that collection as it is. Nice recovery from the attic.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be a local name for a type of chalcedony. The two sandstone samples are local derivatives. Some names of minerals have changed over time. Cant read the top of the box but maybe there's a clue there.

Upvote 0

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seeing this made me go look for my old collection from when I was a kid. Low and behold it contains galena. Unfortunately, no gold nuggets.

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
None of these minerals can hurt you unless you grind them up and snort or eat them. Even if you were stupid enough to eat powdered rock specimens there is a very good chance the rock would not have any effect but to pop out the other end a little smellier.

The one exception would be snorting powdered Crocidolite. 20 years later you might get lung scarring and thickening or cancer from that asbestos mineral. If you are in the habit of powdering and snorting Crocidolite my best advice is to stop now and get professional help. :icon_scratch:

The real dangers from minerals are about breathing quantities of fine dust. The big offender there is silica dust from mining, farming, landscaping and demolition work. Burning some minerals can release dangerous fumes. If you are just displaying small samples in a box the danger is nil.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread