These Pesky Barbers are Teasing Me Again

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Heheheh

Yesterday's Barber quarter find forced me to forget about working (who needs money, anyway?) and go out and hunt again.

The quarter was a super surprise, being in a relatively new neighborhood.

Today I ventured deep into Barber territory, an area of town in which I've done well in the past.  I was actually on my way to a spot that I had in mind when I spotted an innocuous looking sidewalk strip next to an empty parking lot.  "That needs checked" I said to myself, and pulled to the side of the road.  Not 15 minutes later I had the 24-S wheat and a lovely 1902-S dime in my pocket.

This spurned me on to hunt another hour and a half, for which I was rewarded with 5 memorial cents and some miscellany.

I say the Barbers are teasing me again because yesterday's 1900-S was off by one year from the valuable 01-S.  Todays dime was a 1902-S, not anything special rarity-wise.  The 01-S, 03-S, and 04-S are all valuable coins.  LOL  Just like yesterday I couldn't remember exactly which date was the rare one, and had to resist coming right home to check.  Now that I know its not rare, and now that I realize its an hour earlier than I thought, I'm gonna go back out.  ;D  That strip was full of junk and I was just cherry picking.  I'll go back and hammer that spot and see what happens.

So here is what I found today so far:

Attachments

• 102906.jpg
    102906.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 578
  • 102906a.jpg
    102906a.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 582
Upvote 0
Sweet! I need to find more sidewalks to hunt, but, in this city it is just too big to make my way around. One doesn't just "happen by" a place that has stripped sidewalks. I am really glad there are those out there who can find those spots.

Congrats on the oldies!!

Laater...

Thats a nice dime. That one should fetch about $20.

Thanks everyone for the great comments!

I was surprised to hear this one was worth $20!  I hadn't checked the value (obviously), only the mintage.  I saw that they made over 2 million of them (in my old coinbook) and didn't bother to check Ebay for today's rates.

Lisa you *know* I wrote that title just for you.  :D  You should find comfort in the fact that your odds of finding a barber are far greater than my odds of finding a large cent, dontchaknow.  I'm sure we will both reach our goals soon enough.  ;)

On my trip back, as testament to my cherry-picking skizills I found only one other good coin, a mower-clipped 39-P wheat.  It was directly under a big piece of tinfoil.

Attachments

• 102906b.jpg
    102906b.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 485
Nice finds,

I love to find barbers.

HH Jer

Very Nice! ;D I read this before the other one and was wondering what I had missed. Barber dimes are great but barber Quarters are even better. Congratulations on both. Not easy to come by. Had a very good weekend myself. Will post with Danimal.

Mirage

Thanks for the great comments you guys!

Yeah I was thinking, "how am I going to keep up this Barber streak"? heheh

In this neck of the world and in this day and age, two Barbers in two days from different spots is a tough act to follow. I'll try! Even though I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to get out again.

Thanks again, everybody.

Now that is a pretty coin!

You are just too funny! Those are some fantastic finds and I am so glad you always share your finds and humor with the rest of us. Cripes...I cant pass up a sidewalk digup...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back