Thick Canning Jar with Embossed Fruit & Hinged Lid - Help?

motherjunker

Oct 1, 2012
Nashville, TN (from NH)
Detector(s) used
None (yet)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi!

I bought an old canning jar at a thrift store today. It doesn't seem to have any marks and I am not very familiar with canning jars. I'm a newbie at glass in general. It's very thick with aqua tinted glass and is heavily embossed with various fruit. It has a hinged lid and a (now) white rubber seal that is now very gummy and brittle. It has seams, but they are kind of offset... the seam location changes once it's past the part where the clamp ring is. I'm thinking maybe the pieces were made separately and fused together? The glass is rather wavy and uneven and contains bubbles. The bottom has a circle that normally I'd think of as a polished pontil mark. It is heavy and weighs 1lb 12.5 oz.

pic11.jpg pic08.jpg pic09.jpg pic10.jpg

Any info is much appreciated! Thank you!

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Hi!

I bought an old canning jar at a thrift store today. It doesn't seem to have any marks and I am not very familiar with canning jars. I'm a newbie at glass in general. It's very thick with aqua tinted glass and is heavily embossed with various fruit. It has a hinged lid and a (now) white rubber seal that is now very gummy and brittle. It has seams, but they are kind of offset... the seam location changes once it's past the part where the clamp ring is. I'm thinking maybe the pieces were made separately and fused together? The glass is rather wavy and uneven and contains bubbles. The bottom has a circle that normally I'd think of as a polished pontil mark. It is heavy and weighs 1lb 12.5 oz.

Any info is much appreciated! Thank you!

That jar is almost certainly French . . . from the mid-20th century. It is fancier than most LaLorraine, Solidex, etc. jars, and I suspect it was intended for giving a gift of preserves.
lalorraine.jpg

OP
OP
M

motherjunker

Oct 1, 2012
Nashville, TN (from NH)
Detector(s) used
None (yet)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the info! I appreciate it. Funny, my mother's name is Lorraine and I was thinking of her a lot today. Thanks. :)

OP
OP
M

motherjunker

Oct 1, 2012
Nashville, TN (from NH)
Detector(s) used
None (yet)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that you mentioned that, I just found a few of these for sale on Etsy. Mystery solved (sort of). Thanks again.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I was gonna say it's from the 1980-90's but Harry knows alot more than I do....

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I was gonna say it's from the 1980-90's but Harry knows alot more than I do....

Nawww . . . could be late 20th century. I guessed mid-1900s out of a lack of familiarity with the jar. Anything useful on the Etsy listing, 'Motherjunker'?

Gifting homemade preserves is an old tradition. Do people still do that?

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to be a spoil sport but is there any kind of makers mark on the bottom of the jar where the circle is? That type of jar is available even now for a few bucks at big box stores,walmart,dg,etc

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nawww . . . could be late 20th century. I guessed mid-1900s out of a lack of familiarity with the jar. Anything useful on the Etsy listing, 'Motherjunker'?

Gifting homemade preserves is an old tradition. Do people still do that?

It's not a very old jar, and yes, I give homemade preserves as gifts.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
It's not a very old jar, and yes, I give homemade preserves as gifts.

I agree. As "old" goes, this is not a very old jar.

Here is the common construction pattern of French jars (the reason I think this one is a French jar).
eBay | Bocal de cuisine ancien SOLIDEX 1 L, en verre vert

(Scroll all the way down for multiple good images of this jar.)

There are a number of brands of these jars, all quite similar. l'Ideal, Durfor, Solidex, laLorraine, etc. The one in the link is credited by the seller to date to 1940-60. The vast majority of these utility jars are in some shade of green glass.

I didn't find one with the embossed fruit, but one or several could appear overnight. OR . . . maybe it was an export item which never circulated in France -- after all, there would be less novelty appeal to the French who are familiar with the wired lids.

I collect some French jars, but older ones than these with the wired lids. I happen to have the LaLorraine example because it is a souvenir of my first visit to France many years ago.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread