What's new

THIN LIZZY! My unexpected 1500s silver (and my first seated)

skateandcreate

Sr. Member
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
303
Reaction score
241
Golden Thread
0
Location
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Minelab GPX 4800
So Monday started with a pondering of where we might end up digging for the day. Somdrelichunter and myself were thinking about trying to probe out a bottle at a nearby camp but still had not delivered a case of relics we put together for the owners of the colonial property we frequent. It was decided that we would try and catch them home and maybe poke around for a little there before heading to the camp. The owners ended up being home so delivery of the case was made and we spent a little chit chatting and explaining some of the finds in the display case. The owners showed us where the foundation of another old store on the property was and we poked around that side of the road for a few. Some of the normal flat buttons and a couple small buckles were coming out but the decision was made to cross the street where a majority of the coppers and a piece of Spanish silver we have found were concentrated. I hunted super slow in a trashy corner of a field where I had found a few coppers before, hoping to pluck out another, but the grass was tall and none were to be found this visit. I made way for the shadow of a barn on the property for solace from the sun. Right up by the road I got a signal that sounded like a can (shallow and loud) but happened to be another barrel tap. Maybe 15 feet in from this I got a low tone that sounded like a flat button. Deep in the very bottom of the hole I pulled out a paper thin round disc that still looked like nothing special until I saw the hole. A very small amount of rubbing found some silver shining through. I walked over to somdrelichunter and we pondered over what it might be, both thinking spanish silver. (Special thanks to the guys on what is it for the positive ID) Turns out it's a Queen Elizabeth I sixpence (1558-1603)!!! Some early settler must have brought it with them and had kept it for the longest of time. Not 15 feet from the hole with the sixpence I dug my first seated half dime (1851) which rang up low also. Crazy how a spot we've frequented for some time can keep delivering. I see some elimination of iron targets and/or some sifting in our future. Thanks for looking guys! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430402039.134380.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430402055.383420.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430402073.651513.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430402114.289249.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430402129.989879.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430402143.089229.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430402153.559075.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430402214.530011.webp
 
Upvote 40
Exceptional day out! I thought this was a thread about a rock group though! Congrats to you.
 
Thanks guys! I have no idea how big either of them are supposed to be lol. Doninbrewster do you know what the diameter on those are? I'll mic it on the way home.
 
That old gal has been places. The fun part is to imagine where and when. We'll never know that answer but I do know that is an absolute killer find. When a coin "shows up" a seated you know it's good!

Congrats
 
Thanks guys! I have no idea how big either of them are supposed to be lol. Doninbrewster do you know what the diameter on those are? I'll mic it on the way home.

I've dug 8 Lizzie sixpences, and all come in the range of 24-26mm in diameter although one (a 1583) is a bit larger at 27mm. I believe the Lizzie shillings are bigger (31-32mm), and to my knowledge are rarely seen even in the UK. Never heard of one being dug in the US. Here's a nice link that might help. Just scroll down to the Elizabeth I coins.

http://www.englishhammered.com/tudor/tudor.html
 
Last edited:
Were not worthy were not worthy ....... Wow to break into the 1500s club is unreal . Very nice
 
Thanks bill. I'll grab the micrometer when I get home. Glad to be in the company of such knowledgable folk
 
Wow...... Many times I have hit a spot where I was totally ready to say the time is not worth the return and out will pop something to make it an awesome hunt. Learned long ago not to refer to a site as "hunted out". Congrats on a killer hunt.
 
From what I see if it has a date it should be on the side in the last picture, with iviore in the bottom left at top middle on top of the shield on either side of the long cross? That portico is worn so smooth I can't see any of the shield at all let alone a date. Further rubbing may give me more details on the outside ring on both sides, as that seems to be the only detail left, but the last thing I want to do is wear or damage it any more.
 
Great find! Everyone I've hunted with has found one but me. What state are you in?
 
Southern Maryland joeyfresh
 
That's crazy to find that coin! HUGE congrats!!!
 
Wow as said by all others , that is an AWESOME COIN, CONGRATS :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom