What's new

THIN LIZZY! My unexpected 1500s silver (and my first seated)

skateandcreate

Sr. Member
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
303
Reaction score
241
Golden Thread
0
Location
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Minelab GPX 4800
So Monday started with a pondering of where we might end up digging for the day. Somdrelichunter and myself were thinking about trying to probe out a bottle at a nearby camp but still had not delivered a case of relics we put together for the owners of the colonial property we frequent. It was decided that we would try and catch them home and maybe poke around for a little there before heading to the camp. The owners ended up being home so delivery of the case was made and we spent a little chit chatting and explaining some of the finds in the display case. The owners showed us where the foundation of another old store on the property was and we poked around that side of the road for a few. Some of the normal flat buttons and a couple small buckles were coming out but the decision was made to cross the street where a majority of the coppers and a piece of Spanish silver we have found were concentrated. I hunted super slow in a trashy corner of a field where I had found a few coppers before, hoping to pluck out another, but the grass was tall and none were to be found this visit. I made way for the shadow of a barn on the property for solace from the sun. Right up by the road I got a signal that sounded like a can (shallow and loud) but happened to be another barrel tap. Maybe 15 feet in from this I got a low tone that sounded like a flat button. Deep in the very bottom of the hole I pulled out a paper thin round disc that still looked like nothing special until I saw the hole. A very small amount of rubbing found some silver shining through. I walked over to somdrelichunter and we pondered over what it might be, both thinking spanish silver. (Special thanks to the guys on what is it for the positive ID) Turns out it's a Queen Elizabeth I sixpence (1558-1603)!!! Some early settler must have brought it with them and had kept it for the longest of time. Not 15 feet from the hole with the sixpence I dug my first seated half dime (1851) which rang up low also. Crazy how a spot we've frequented for some time can keep delivering. I see some elimination of iron targets and/or some sifting in our future. Thanks for looking guys! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430402039.134380.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430402055.383420.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430402073.651513.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430402114.289249.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430402129.989879.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430402143.089229.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430402153.559075.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430402214.530011.webp
 
Upvote 40
Wow. Now thats an early find. 25 years later, still looking for one of those.
 
Congrats on the early find ! :occasion14: We can only dream of those out here, we have to be happy with a few silver Rosys or Mercs for the most part with an occasion sprinkle of Barber, then theres the rare as "Hens Teeth" Seateds :laughing7:
 
Very nice finds! Congrats on the killer old silver. Well done.
 
Can you get a date off the Lizzie? Most of them were minted with a date although there were some that weren't. A little light electrolysis might also clean off most of that black tarnish if that's obscuring the date. Congrats on a great find!
 
Wow. Now thats an early find. 25 years later, still looking for one of those.

Can't believe you've never found one up in your area with all those early sites. You get one eventually ....
 
Wow! Congratulations on the hammered sixpence. Might be a common find in England, but it's a banner find over here!
 
Great job on the hammered Lizzy sixpence! :D
 
Thanks guys! Bill D I'll take a couple more pics when I get home but I doubt I'll ever get an exact date. It's bendy small haha. The only part of the crest I can see is the long cross on the IVIORE side
 
I see no reason why that's not a Banner find over here ! Excellent .
 
CONGRATS!!!! Hogge
 
A couple close ups if the wear and thinness ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430430455.562573.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430430477.415000.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430430501.715401.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430430520.351845.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430430530.502445.webp
 
That is a KILLER coin find!!!
 
Sweet find and happy huntinn
 
A real beauty that's for sure. I would love to have a few of those in my collection.
Congrats
ZDD
 
Glad I was there to witness it bud. It had your name on it. I still think this is a banner find for finding it in the states. It was most certainly lost by one of America's earliest settlers. Couldn't be happier for you. :headbang:
 
Congrats on the hammered, worn but a great keeper! Even finding the half dime would make for a good day, but getting the Lizzie made for a memory.
 
Congrats on the hammered, worn but a great keeper! Even finding the half dime would make for a good day, but getting the Lizzie made for a memory.

Yeah, some travel half way round the world for one.:thumbsup:
 
Very cool to get such an old silver!, great job
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom