Think I found a 8 reales. 1775

Ennismill

Mar 13, 2017
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
By far the oldest coin I've ever found. It was in my yard, down about 6 inches. Best I can tell it's a 8 reales. 1775 is clearly the date. And can read Carolus III. IMG_3020.JPGIMG_3021.JPGIMG_3022.JPG

Upvote 31
Maybe you have big hands, seems small for a 8, maybe a 4? ? Either way you found a awesome find!!!!

What is the diameter?

Last edited:
Lol! You may be right. Never found one before, totally new to me. Never thought I would find anything like that in Kentucky.

Well done! Based on the size in your hand, it appears to be a 2 reales. An 8 reales is the size of a silver dollar and very thick. The denomination is on the reverse, on the left side of the column about half way up the coin.

It's a little blurry, but it looks like 2 R

IMG_3022~2.JPG

Here is an undug example

download~2.jpg

Great find for your yard. Hit is hard :icon_thumleft:

2 REALES CAROLUS III (25 mm diameter)

4 REALES CAROLUS III (33 mm diameter)

8 REALES CAROLUS III (38 mm diameter)

I found a 62 memorial in my yard once:icon_thumright:

Very good eye! Just looked closer it is a 2R. Thanks for the clarification

Nice Spanish coin sir!

Congrats on the find, and I like that way think, going for the 8R right out of the shoot.

Well played.

WooHoo, great job.

Huge find! Keep searching and posting. There has to be more there. I would slowly grid out A 10' circle around that coin. Congrats!

The weight should be around 6.75 grams.

Some info / trivia you may like to know on your coin...

OR you may not care... heh

Though you may not make it all out... your coin says - CAROLUS·III·DEI·GRATIA ... Which means... "Carlos 3rd by the grace of God".

On the reverse it says "HISPAN·ET IND·REX·oM·2R·F·M"... Which states "King of Spain and the Indies - Mexico City 2 Reales FM"

great find i wonder what your yard is going to look like in the next couole weeks lol thanks for sharing it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back