Thinking about a Tejon

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
I have a Bounty Hunter SharpShooter II and I really think it is time to upgrade to a better machine.
I have done a whole lot of reading up about various machines and I am currently considering the Tejon.
Does this machine do a good job finding coins on dry land? I have read mixed reviews. Some say that it is only good for relic hunting.

What depths have you guys found coins/jewelry at with this machine? Compared to other machines, does it do a good job in trashy areas?
Also, I don't think I have highly mineralized soil.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tejon is a real upgrade from the BH. Still the Sharp Shooter is no slouch as the Tejon has more features which make detecting more fun. Many say the Tejon is mainly a relic detector and they say this because it is deep where lots of relics end up resting. It is also a great coin & jewelry finder. As for its use in trashy areas, it is up to the size of the coil to do the job of getting only one item under the coil at a time to make it easier. I like to set it up with the second notch to barely reject pull tabs so as I hunt in main Disc One and get a signal I can check it with Disc Two to see if I think its a tab and if I want to dig it. With its VCO it is a pleasure to pinpoint to a tiny area.

Attachments

• Tesoro Tejon.png
    Tesoro Tejon.png
    38 KB · Views: 459

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In my opinion the Tejon is not that impressive on depth when you run it in discriminate mode. But when you run it in all metal mode it is a kick a$$ machine. In all metal it is very sensitive to small stuff and will go deep (a penny at 10" no problem). Only problem is that in all metal you pretty much dig it all. I have gotten tons of signals in all metal mode that never made a peep when I switched over to disc mode. They were either too deep or too small for the disc circuit to pick it up (usually too small). That's why I'd say the Tejon is mostly a relic machine. It loves to run in all metal on a site that is already pretty clean. In trashy areas it does good. You have to run it in disc mode in trashy areas. All metal just could not handle all the targets.

-Swartzie

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
I have seen barber's come from an honest 9-10 inches,,here in southern il.,,I dug an 1888 seated dime,worn almost slick,at 8-9 with my tejon,,

so to the people out there that say they aren't that deep,,,,maybe not in there soil,,but maybe they don't no what to listen for,,,,learn it and you wont be sorry,,,!!!!,,,awesome machine,,,, :headbang:

thanks

wayne
co.
il.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
artzstuff1 said:
I have seen barber's come from an honest 9-10 inches,,here in southern il.,,I dug an 1888 seated dime,worn almost slick,at 8-9 with my tejon,,

so to the people out there that say they aren't that deep,,,,maybe not in there soil,,but maybe they don't no what to listen for,,,,learn it and you wont be sorry,,,!!!!,,,awesome machine,,,, :headbang:

thanks

wayne
co.
il.

This is closer to my experience in western Canada. Sandy loam low mineralization near as I can tell. I pulled some small silvers from deeper holes last fall in very dry soil. Tweaked\set up properly, it is a deep and sensitive machine on coins also. In water saturated soil I've popped large cents from 10-12 inches. Small signal but easily caught. I've pulled fur trade knives from below the plow line. No sense giving a rough depth guess, doubters probably wouldn't believe it anyway. I'm talking about near perfect set up for the location, soil conditions and using headphones. I love the Tejon ! If it had three tones I'd never buy another machine. Might not anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread