What's new

Thinking About CRHing-Questions

Bugsterx2

Full Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2011
Messages
189
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
1)With several members getting shut down recently could/should CRHing still be possible on a smaller scale so as not to draw attention to one's activity?

2)Would most everyone still reccommend doing halves?

3)And how much is too much to pay per box if your bank or credit union says they have to charge to order say a $500 box of halves? Just checked today with the manager of a bank where I opened a new account about three weeks ago and was told if they can do it there would be a charge!

I have been recently hunting some individual rolls with no success and obviously the odds are better with larger lots so....

Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks.

Jim
 
Upvote 0
I don't pick up many boxes like I used to. No way would I pay a fee on boxes, now, or ever. I pick up the occasional rolls here and there, and find a few silver halves. I buy my big silvers now, it's cheaper and less time-consuming. Not as fun though.
I really enjoy searching the dimes.
Just do like everyone else here, and dive right in!
 
1. Absolutely. You might even be able to do it on a large scale. I personally don't think its the CRH activity that has gotten some members "shut down." Its the economy. Banks are just "tightening their belts" as they're feeling the pinch of this woeful economy. It hasn't hit everywere...yet anyway. In my area, I could order 100 boxes a week for free...I just don't have enough dump banks to get rid of all of them. My advice is to just wade right in and see what happens.

2. If you're strictly looking for profit, halves are the way to go IMO. If you're just wanting to add to your coin collection, then search whatever you like to collect. Or do both.

3. Check around. Odds are there is a bank or credit union near you that will order boxes for free.

Good luck!
 
I am pretty new to CRH. Yes, I had some early luck, but have found nothing recently. I just opened my fifth straight box of skunks. (I've had six boxes total.)

There is no way I would pay for boxes. Let's say you could order boxes for just $5 a box. If you would have gotten my five boxes, you would be out $25 plus your time and gas to find nothing. And to top that off, you have to figure out how to dump $2500 in halves, which is difficult for me in a small town. Lots and lots of banks here, but no free coin counters in the lobbies, like many of the posters on this forum have access to.

Figuring out how to dump all those halves has been tricky, and VERY time consuming.

I've been doing dimes too, but only pick up 4 rolls every 3 days, give or take. I dump those at another bank, and often try quarters. If it weren't for other posters showing their finds, I'd believe that there was never a silver dime or quarter in circulation in the history of the United States, LOL.

Sorry to sound like a downer about CRHing. It is a TON of fun when you find silver. If you can get a bank to order boxes for you for free, and have an easy way to dump, then go for it. There is silver out there, and lots of it, as shown in the various threads on this forum...but again, I wouldn't pay for boxes.
 
I would say it all depends on your area. My area is not as good as the east coast and half my boxes are skunks. You should call around to see if they can order for you for free. If they can't order halves, go for dimes or pennies, then nickels and last resort would be quarters. If your area is ripe with silver, then getting charged a little may be worth it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom