This forum has sparked my interest. I have a couple questions.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I metal detect as a hobby. As I've gotten older and retired I find my body just doesn't handle the heat well at all. This leaves me trapped in the A/C during the hot NC summer months. I've been reading quite a number of posts in this forum and it has sparked some interest. This forum seems to be comprised of a bunch of friendly folks filled with knowledge (no I am not butt kissing) and wanted to ask a few "dumb" questions. Your shared information is very much appreciated.

I'm on a fixed and pretty tight budget so I believe my coin roll hunting would be confined to pennies, nickels and dimes. I think my favorites would be nickels though. Do I just go to the bank and ask to buy rolls of nickels? Is there something special you need to ask the tellers to get rolls with the possibility of finding something good? Is there a benefit of buying a whole box over individual rolls?

After you've opened all the rolls and taken out what you want what do you do with all the leftover nickels? Do you have to roll them back up to sell them back to the bank? Because that seems like a lot of work.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Jay

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello and welcome. I like searching nickels too because of the variety of finds and the consistency of finding silver. U just need to decide how much u want to buy and go to the bank and ask. Its difficult to say whether u will have better luck with cwrs (customer wrapped rolls) or boxes. With cwrs u will likely have a better chance of finding a collection dump and loaded rolls - as some others have posted recently. But I've had really good success finding buffalos and war nickels in mwrs (machine wrapped rolls) also.

As far as dumping your searched coins you'll just have to figure out what works best for u. If u can find a bank with a free coin counter that would probably work best but that may not be an option for u so re-rolling may be your only option. Just don't bring them back to the same bank u bought them from. Find another bank to dump your searched coins.

Good luck and HH!

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you need to have an account with a bank to "dump" the searched coins or can you do this at any bank?

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a begginers guide up top in the stickies section it will answer 99% "dumb" or newbie question

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest being an account holder at any bank you plan to pick up from or return coins at.
Do you need to have an account with a bank to "dump" the searched coins or can you do this at any bank?

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
dawg, you usually need an account to dump. To pickup coins though, at least if you look respectable, I've had banks that have ordered for me without having an account. Good luck.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I find it strange that people read this forum and get inspired. I read it and am disappointed to see how finds have virtually dried up. Then again, people probably would say the same thing if they were hunting for 3 years when I started 2 years ago. The finds have been in steep decline over the past few year. 5-10 years of a dry spell will get a lot out of the hobby though, and there are still some home runs. I dunno. I just find it hard to justify spending my time on it, but I do wish you the best of luck!

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya wont last long if you dont have accounts at at least a couple different banks

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread