The guy at Chickamauga was wrong and he knew it. You can not pick up anything. It is well posted there. He found 3 bullets and did not have a metal detector. The equiptment being used out there is exposing some top soil. Chickamauga is the second largest battlefield behind Gettysburgh. It is hallowed ground.They have had problems with people sneaking in and hunting at night for years. They have to prosecute offenders.
All of North Ga and South east Tennessee are battlefields. My house sits on a major battlefield and I have dug numerous items and at least a 100 bullets from my yard and the neighbors yards. If you look at Chattanooga for National parks you will see it is huge stretching all the way to Chickamauga. They add land to the parks every chance they get. You will notice the metal detector in the picture by the civil war cannon. This was on PRIVATE property where a battle was and they placed a cannon and plaque there but it was outside the park. It was legal to hunt there with permission so with research and permission you can still hunt these areas. Of course I found nothing there cause I guess everyone had permission! lol
The Archeologist do not have time and they are just now learning to use metal detectors and putting them in their arsenals. I have been contacted before by them for information I had on some maps and how to use a metal detector. They had access to a segment of a park for two days to do a study. There is a big diffrence between a Park Ranger and a Archeologist.
I say hunt battle sites only with good permission from the landowner. I know that Archeologist are reading these post and wish they would chime in..