This hobby is getting too HEAVY....82 lbs. of log chains carried 1 1/2 mile

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
For me, finding a logging chain is like anyone else finding a rare coin. I have found dozens of them, but it is still very exciting to find one.

I was out on Sunday and went up a run but there was 4" of snow, so I decided to up to the top of the hill and down into the next hollow. Wrong idea. There was 8" of snow in the shade, but was bare ground on one side. I walked down looking for promising spots.. I came to a log slide going up the side of the mountain. I detected up one side and back down the other and had no hits until near the bottom. There were some exposed chain links and I knew it would be a large chain by the size of the links. I dug it out and there were more chain beneath it. I dug out 2 more. These were heavy chains.

What to do. I was a half mile down the hollow.( I checked a topo map when I got home). I decided to leave one chain there and come back another day to pick it up. With 2 chains in my sack, I started up the hill and only went a few yards. They were too heavy.

What to do. I finally carried each chain individually up the hill. Making 3 trips made it a mile per chain. I was still a mile from my truck, but it was all down hill. I put 2 chains in my sack and would carry a short distance and drop it, being heavy and go back for the 3rd, doing this numerous times, finally reaching my truck.

And, in between my treks back and forth, I found a Dr. Kennedy's Medical Discovery bottle from Foxbury Mass. So there i was, carrying 3 chains, a bottle, my detector and digger. What a sight.

Chain 1... 20 lbs.
Chain 2... 9 1/2 ft, 32 lbs
Chain 3... 15 ft, 30 lbs.

Attachments

• DSCF0611.jpg
    DSCF0611.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,364
  • chain 1.JPG
    chain 1.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,426
  • chain 2.JPG
    chain 2.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,289
  • bottle.JPG
    bottle.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,248
Upvote 0

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lumbercamp, You do this hobby proud. Do you have any of your displays on-line? I, for one, would love to look at them,
put them in my pictures in my computer.....and use them, from time to time, as my screen-saver.
I can just picture you, lugging those heavy chains up the hill....dropping them....going back for the other......
wonder what the deer and other wildlife thought?
Good job, man. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
lumbercamp

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Bell, if I found cannon I would definitely attempt to bring them out. I have dug up old RR tracks in the woods, but they stay where I find them.

TnMountain, That's a nice drawing as how it would be done here, only imagine oxen and horses coming down a steep hillside hauling logs behind them.

Antiquarian, I'm always amazed at the amount of chains and other tools left behind by the loggers in the late 1800's. These tools are still in very good shape. I have cleaned up ax heads, put handles on and use them to chop wood.

Hikeinmts, several years ago I posted pictures on Tnet of part of my collection. The last time I looked I couldn't find them, they must have been deleted. The only photos I could find are in "My Collections" from March of 2007 of my logmarks.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thing you found that bottle of medicine since you had to work so hard to get that chain! M :laughing7: nty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread