Twisted one, thanx for your input, and for giving my stance fair thought.
I have not watched any of these new reality shows. Perhaps some non-md'rs are? And that in their anger they will rush to dream up things like the FL situation? Do you really think that is imminent? I mean, sure, ANYTHING is possible. All I can say is, that 25+ years ago, when the FMDAC was a new organization, they sent out their monthly mailers. Those were read aloud at each club meeting. And it was the same thing back then: "Do something now, pre-empt laws", "go in and ask everywhere lest you be arrested" and "coming to a city or state near you", etc.... And if md'rs didn't worry, they were warned: "you'll be sorry, don't say I didn't warn you", etc.... That was 25+ yrs. ago.
So immediately they went out and asked for clarifications, permits, etc... (afterall, you can't argue with the scary stories read aloud at each meeting, can you?). And the odd thing was, that some of them were getting "no's", where it had never been a problem before. See how the psychology works?
That's all I'm saying is, be careful. I personally do not envision the average Joe city councilman or county supervisor type watching that junk on TV. And therefore I think the bigger danger is in asking for some sort of sanctions, permits, etc... For example: I heard of one club in one city "successfully" lobby their city to get "permits" (not sure if there had ever been a prohibition, or talk of prohibition, to begin with). Well guess what their "permit" allowed them to do? Can't have a digger tool over 3" long, can't dig more than xx" deep, and so forth. Huh? I'm just more afraid of the permits you think are a good idea, ending up just regulating us out of existence, when in fact, perhaps nothing ever would have become of it.
There is another principle of psychology called "projection". Have you ever heard of that? That's where you or I read or see something, and have a certain reaction to it (like, dislike, guilt, anger, etc...). And we "project" that we assume others see and feel the same way. Mind you the average guy flipping through the channels is not into metal detecting (just like perhaps you aren't into watching the Kardashians, or the home-shopping channel, or a televangelist, etc...). But for you and I, we ARE into metal detecting, so we intently tune into it. The "projection" part comes into play, that we assume (subconsciously) that so too do a bunch of others. But just like the home shopping channel or the kardashians, only a very small subset of persons actually watch such niche stuff like this. And the same "projection" comes with our visceral reaction to it (the anger of the supposed property owner who yelling at them to stop, etc...), because we read a million threads on-line about "how this is going to ruin the hobby". Again we "project" that everyone else has this same reaction, and every cares a less like we do, about a metal detecting program, so they must all certainly have been tuned in, etc....