✅ SOLVED This Iron Relic is Bugging Me! Please Help to Identify!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had this iron relic for awhile now and I just can't figure out what it could be. Almost looks like a shifter, but not sure. A piece of it feel off when I cleaned it up (last pic). Any help would be appreciated.

DSC08369.JPG DSC08370.JPG DSC08373.JPG

KenG

Mar 16, 2018
East TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cutlass II, Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a lock from a flintlock rifle to me. The part that fell off is the frizzen. The part the hammer strikes to create sparks. Nice find.

Cheers,
Ken

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Flintlock and frizzen. Possibly Model 1816 Musket (that was made from 1816 to the late 1830's).from what I can make out of the cock. Would need to be cleaned up a bit to be sure.

dsc_0537_1_1.jpg

Upvote 0

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a lockplate with hammer & frizzen from a flintlock rifle. Excellent find...:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. Awesome... I typically don't dig much iron but maybe I should start. I'd take that find any day.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Time to break out the electrolysis setup! Thanks for the ID, guys!

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That goes beyond nice, so I'll say GREAT find. Were the two pieces in the same hole? Check around for more.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It came out in one piece, but the frizzen fell off when I was cleaning it. It was the last find of the day, but I know exactly where I dug it. If this stupid snow ever melts, maybe I'll find the barrel or the trigger. It would be really incredible to find all the metal parts to it!

I'm counting this as my first gun find! Only took me 5 years to find one!

Upvote 0

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup, intact flocklock mechanism, can’t wait to see it cleaned up!!!

Upvote 0

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
!! nice ! I found one a few years ago. I was just thinking of updating what I heard about mine. I was telling a friend out in OH about is and a grizzly customer chimed in and said, 'Know what you found?, one of these' and he pulled a Bic lighter out of his pocket. Then explained he was a 'Mountain Man' member and that's how they started a quick fire back in the day !!! and that that guy musta been 'upset' when he lost it!!

Upvote 0

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's all I found in the area, no gun parts, no nuthin--here's my old post--http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/385056-flash-pan-works-2.html#post5743714

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm going to spend hours looking for other parts to this musket and come up empty? Bummer! I'll still give it a shot, though. You never know.

Did you ever try to clean up your flintlock?

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm going to spend hours looking for other parts to this musket and come up empty? Bummer! I'll still give it a shot, though. You never know.

Did you ever try to clean up your flintlock?

You never know, the rest of it could be nearby. I'd have to look for it, but even if you don't find anything else that is an awesome find by itself

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Rhode Island, it could easily be from the Revolution. Be very careful with electrolysis on it. If it was found anywhere near salt water it is imperative you let it soak in fresh water long enough to get the salt out of it. Takes a long time. Very, very, very nice relic.

Upvote 0

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who says rust ain't COOL! Very nice find Tim. You have some very historic grounds my friend. Well done in the snow.:headbang:

Upvote 0

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find! If you found it in a field I would suggest searching areas bordering the field. If a complete musket was there the barrel may have been pulled up by a plow and thrown to the side of the field or picked up with the rocks and thrown in the rock pile you typically find near farm fields. Farmers would pick rocks after nearly every plowing in rocky areas before planting the crops. I remember doing this as a kid. Scrap metal, large sticks and the like would be thrown on the wagon along with the rocks and dumped elsewhere.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Rhode Island, it could easily be from the Revolution. Be very careful with electrolysis on it. If it was found anywhere near salt water it is imperative you let it soak in fresh water long enough to get the salt out of it. Takes a long time. Very, very, very nice relic.

Fortunately, it wasn't found near salt water. Just a low lying area that is probably wet most of the year.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicely done Tim,, Can't wait to see that bad boy cleaned up.

Thanks! It's getting there after 12 hours of electrolysis. I can see the screw head notches clearly now and other parts of it are losing the crust. Going to take awhile, though. Not hoping for a miracle, just want it to look more like a flintlock and not a crusty hunk of iron! I'll keep you guys posted on it's progress.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, here's what it looks like after 18 hours of electrolysis. Not bad, but I've got a ways to go.

DSC08369.JPG DSC08383.JPG

DSC08370.JPG DSC08385.JPG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread