This mornings digs - colonial goodies and cut coin!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to change plans with my digging buddy Bill D suddenly which meant I was solo today - but still managed to dig a few goodies. It is never as fun digging by ones self as it is with a good pal - but the relics were still there.

I spent the morning at a site that has been good to the both of us in recent weeks - but the only cut coin I could sniff out was the cut Lincoln cent...still funny to me at least.

I managed 18 buttons and other odds and ends, including shot, buckle pieces, furniture stuff and a thimble. My best find of the hunt was the partial dish to a 17th century laden spoon - at least I recovered the marked end. I will need to look at which marking this is as it is different than the others I have. A couple of the buttons were early - the nipple button and pewter high-domed ones are always fun to find. I actually like the deep dish one with the HUGE and off centered shank. Some of the pipe stems bore sizes really help to date this site, especially with the buttons and spoon. Knowing that the cob came from here last week tells me that there is a good chance for another good coin there. If the point was hole, the day would have been near perfect - there is always next time.

All in all it was not a bad few hours out - I had to come back in time for work obligations and it probably is as best as it was already 80+ out when I left around 1pm.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• SC1.JPG
    SC1.JPG
    727.2 KB · Views: 100
  • SC2.JPG
    SC2.JPG
    363.9 KB · Views: 96
  • SC3.JPG
    SC3.JPG
    250.9 KB · Views: 100
  • SC4.JPG
    SC4.JPG
    486.3 KB · Views: 103
  • SC5.JPG
    SC5.JPG
    246.6 KB · Views: 97
  • SC10.JPG
    SC10.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 100
  • SC9.JPG
    SC9.JPG
    432 KB · Views: 107
  • SC8.JPG
    SC8.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 92
  • SC7.JPG
    SC7.JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 94
  • SC6.JPG
    SC6.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 91
Upvote 6

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds....cut lincoln is quite amusing .

Looks like a very fun day to me ...lotsa buttons are always nice !!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Missed being out there with ya bud. Its amazing how that site continues to produce. Even though it appears to now be shutdown for the year, there's definitely optimism for the fall after the peanut harvest. Hope we can hook up later this week if we can find a field that has not been planted.

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Hey Dan, check your PM

CaperBoy

Aug 4, 2013
Cape Breton Island
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a good day flying solo. Looks like a few pieces of clay pipe stem in there as well?

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a good day flying solo. Looks like a few pieces of clay pipe stem in there as well?

Correct - this site is littered with them, they have been in other areas, but are finally showing up in this spot as well. I secured this place last year and Bill and I have done very well there - one ridge alone was loaded with colonial pipe fragments and black glass. So far we have pulled over 14 colonial silver coins from it and an almost equal number of coppers. This was our #2 site last year, but is quickly becoming one of the #1s.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that piece of spoon would keep me going back
1keep-up-the-good-work.jpg