inspectorgadget
Hero Member
- Joined
- Jul 14, 2012
- Messages
- 924
- Reaction score
- 431
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Indianapolis
- Detector(s) used
- Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
I found this about 3 weeks ago about 15ft from an old foundation where a 1915-20's house use to sit in my back yard & it's been gone for at least 30 years. This was about 5" deep, seems to be either copper or copper coated/plated brass
One buddy said possibly bronze? It rang in right where typical copper pennies ring in at about 77-78 VDI on my MXT. I used the $1 bill & pennies in the pix to show size & scale!
It is pretty heavy at 352 grams, it's not magnetic, has what seems to be a very corroded small steel threaded piece in the center on the big end with a hole down the center about 1" deep & the hole basically stops where it gets smaller. The smaller section size is identical to the diameter of a penny.
No one has a clue what this is, looks like copper at first but after an acid bath & rub down it looks like there might be another brighter brass or goldish looking metal underneath the copper (in pic #4 you can see what I'm saying) or possibly what appears to be copper is just heavy tarnish but I don't think so. I have extensively cleaned it, when it came out of the ground it was quite a bit darker.
My first thought was some part of some type of high amp electrical component, other friends didn't agree but also don't have an idea of their own either. I had a friend tell me the same thing I think just today. He said it looks like something that was part of a high amp electrical service, he said he did alot of scrapping a while back & it looked just like something you would see in an industrial building with a small room loaded with copper everything that was used basically as a mini power station. But he said he never saw something exactly like this piece sooo, I still have no real answer.
Who can identify this mystery piece? & I do believe one of you masters of identifying strange stuff can answer this riddle!






One buddy said possibly bronze? It rang in right where typical copper pennies ring in at about 77-78 VDI on my MXT. I used the $1 bill & pennies in the pix to show size & scale!It is pretty heavy at 352 grams, it's not magnetic, has what seems to be a very corroded small steel threaded piece in the center on the big end with a hole down the center about 1" deep & the hole basically stops where it gets smaller. The smaller section size is identical to the diameter of a penny.
No one has a clue what this is, looks like copper at first but after an acid bath & rub down it looks like there might be another brighter brass or goldish looking metal underneath the copper (in pic #4 you can see what I'm saying) or possibly what appears to be copper is just heavy tarnish but I don't think so. I have extensively cleaned it, when it came out of the ground it was quite a bit darker.
My first thought was some part of some type of high amp electrical component, other friends didn't agree but also don't have an idea of their own either. I had a friend tell me the same thing I think just today. He said it looks like something that was part of a high amp electrical service, he said he did alot of scrapping a while back & it looked just like something you would see in an industrial building with a small room loaded with copper everything that was used basically as a mini power station. But he said he never saw something exactly like this piece sooo, I still have no real answer.
Who can identify this mystery piece? & I do believe one of you masters of identifying strange stuff can answer this riddle!






Last edited:








