What's new

This sucks...... :(

Look on the bright side: Now they have a new "Hangar Queen" for spare parts! ;D
 
Arizona Bob said:
Look on the bright side: Now they have a new "Hangar Queen" for spare parts! ;D

Looking at those pics, I don't think much is salvageable.
 
That is sad. How many of those are left? Maybe 15? In flyable condition?
 
What a shame. I'm sure nothing will go to waste, but attrition has claimed another. The risks you take when you keep 'em flying.

$2.5M worth of Cyclone engines that the remaining airworthies will be trying for. They and the P&W Wasp
series are getting hard to find.
 
fmrUSMC_0844 said:
That is sad. How many of those are left? Maybe 15? In flyable condition?

Yeah 15 or 16 I think that are actually flying, I think there might be a few more in airworthy condition that are on static display at museums. Sad to see one go, those old warbirds are as much heroes as the men who flew in them.
 
Yup that does suck, even worse than the ones that got turned into aluminum siding after WWII.
 
Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like all engines were cut before the plane went in...tell by the bend in the props... :coffee2:
 
Yeah the pilot got it on the ground ok, and cut the engines. He did a really good job on the landing. Landing gear down, and a short stop. The props bent when the wing spar melted through and the wings and nacelles sagged to the ground.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom