It's been pretty warm here in the Truckee Meadows (upper 90's), so I've been biting the bullet and filling up with the $6/gal go nectar and hitting the mountain lakes and rivers.
Monday's hunt wasn't even worth taking a pic of as md'ing has become more and more popular and I swung at a popular swimming hole for 5+ hrs and ended up with 53 cents in shiny new clad and a Mepps spinner lure. Oy.
Sunday afternoon I drove up to a popular Lake Tahoe swim beach that I know gets hammered by detectorists often, but I was hoping for a fresh drop. The lake is much colder than normal for this time of year (global warming?) and few people are swimming. It's not bad with a shorty wetsuit, booties and diving gloves, and it's really pretty, so it makes for a really nice outing even if the finds are sparse. I did manage to find a '51 wheat cent and a little silver charm.
Tuesday I hit a reservoir built in 1858 and up a nasty, rocky road 12 miles from the pavement. Even way up there it was obvious that I was beat to it.
Found $4.02 in clad including a '68 Canada cent, a 4oz weight (sheesh!), a live .45acp round and lots of junk.
Wednesday I had too much to do to go anywhere so I took a short break and hit my local park. Got a nice low-mid tone and dug a plug. Laying in the bottom of the shadowy hole was this fake-out junk ring. Really had me going for a minute!
Thursday I went to another popular Tahoe beach that also gets detected by many. While I don't mind spending a summer day in these beautiful mountain lakes, it starts getting to feel like I'm wasting a lot of money driving so far to come home with a few bucks in clad. However, the addiction is REAL, and I need that fix so I keep at it no matter what!
This beach was hit by somebody so recently before me that I'm surprised I didn't bump into them. The scoop holes under water in the sand don't last long and were everywhere, along with dug pull tabs and bottle caps (yeah, one of those people
) but I just decided to enjoy the day and keep swinging. Good thing I'm no quitter as I went to scoop another pull tab signal...
Blam! 14.3 gram Platinum band in the scoop!
That should stave off the usual eye roll from the Mrs. next time I announce I'm heading for the hills!
Good luck to all who persevere!
Monday's hunt wasn't even worth taking a pic of as md'ing has become more and more popular and I swung at a popular swimming hole for 5+ hrs and ended up with 53 cents in shiny new clad and a Mepps spinner lure. Oy.
Sunday afternoon I drove up to a popular Lake Tahoe swim beach that I know gets hammered by detectorists often, but I was hoping for a fresh drop. The lake is much colder than normal for this time of year (global warming?) and few people are swimming. It's not bad with a shorty wetsuit, booties and diving gloves, and it's really pretty, so it makes for a really nice outing even if the finds are sparse. I did manage to find a '51 wheat cent and a little silver charm.
Tuesday I hit a reservoir built in 1858 and up a nasty, rocky road 12 miles from the pavement. Even way up there it was obvious that I was beat to it.
Found $4.02 in clad including a '68 Canada cent, a 4oz weight (sheesh!), a live .45acp round and lots of junk.
Wednesday I had too much to do to go anywhere so I took a short break and hit my local park. Got a nice low-mid tone and dug a plug. Laying in the bottom of the shadowy hole was this fake-out junk ring. Really had me going for a minute!
Thursday I went to another popular Tahoe beach that also gets detected by many. While I don't mind spending a summer day in these beautiful mountain lakes, it starts getting to feel like I'm wasting a lot of money driving so far to come home with a few bucks in clad. However, the addiction is REAL, and I need that fix so I keep at it no matter what!
This beach was hit by somebody so recently before me that I'm surprised I didn't bump into them. The scoop holes under water in the sand don't last long and were everywhere, along with dug pull tabs and bottle caps (yeah, one of those people
) but I just decided to enjoy the day and keep swinging. Good thing I'm no quitter as I went to scoop another pull tab signal...Blam! 14.3 gram Platinum band in the scoop!
That should stave off the usual eye roll from the Mrs. next time I announce I'm heading for the hills!
Good luck to all who persevere!
Upvote
48







