What's new

Thought it was a Confederate Picket

Cycluran

Full Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2013
Messages
213
Reaction score
100
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I found a ridge overlooking a big bottom, covered with flat buttons and bits of molten lead. Figured it to be a CSA picket point/camp. Crossing the bottom I found similar items on the opposing ridge. After awhile though, I realized that half the buttons are tombacs. Then I found a few 1700's coins and this sweet button, a late 1700's Patriot button. Must have been War of 1812 action happening there:)

ForumRunner_20140525_155019.webp



ForumRunner_20140525_155048.webp
 
Last edited:
Met a couple of characters out there too.

ForumRunner_20140525_155659.webp



ForumRunner_20140525_155725.webp
 
Nice finds Cyluran, congrats! That's a mean looking character on the right.
 
Nah. Just a hognose snake. He just sat there and let me scan over him and get a quick pic.
 
nice rattlesnake button!!! looks like a fun day!!
 
Great finds but I think you're going to need some help cleaning that site up. Hey, look at that, you're in VA as well. :laughing7:
 
Thanks for the info! The last readable copper coin I pulled from the site is a 1769 George III. I'm leaning more toward Revolutionary War now. Also, I pulled a copper arrowhead from the site. The British used Native American scouts and this could have belonged to one of them.
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20140728_230206.webp
    ForumRunner_20140728_230206.webp
    192.3 KB · Views: 181
  • ForumRunner_20140728_230317.webp
    ForumRunner_20140728_230317.webp
    186.9 KB · Views: 175
  • ForumRunner_20140728_230430.webp
    ForumRunner_20140728_230430.webp
    63 KB · Views: 171
That point is one of my favorite things I've seen here on the forum.

VERY cool, man!


~Tejaas~
 
Thanks, Tejaas. 'Definitely was a surprise find.
 
Killer button !! And the rest of those finds ain't too shabby either. Congrats
 
So I found a ridge overlooking a big bottom, covered with flat buttons and bits of molten lead. Figured it to be a CSA picket point/camp. Crossing the bottom I found similar items on the opposing ridge. After awhile though, I realized that half the buttons are tombacs. Then I found a few 1700's coins and this sweet button, a late 1700's Patriot button. Must have been War of 1812 action happening there:)

View attachment 1000211



View attachment 1000212

That rattlesnake button is quite rare. You may want to have that looked at.
 
2014 post it should have make banner
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom