I found this yesterday at a local park. I thought it was a neck badge until i looked at the front. Their is no writing or inscription on either side. Any help on Id would be great thanks.
scoop, just a guess, but the machining on the face kind of gives the impression it may have once had another layer with design applied over it at one time; maybe porcelain, glass, another piece of different metal, etc., and this was the base on which it was mounted.
Spike, interesting guess but I think it would be too weak for such a thing and the design would dig into the floor or bend the object when a table was moved around unless it was cast within rubber, but that still wouldn't explain the shape which is generally round. The trouble with a uniform badge is that the post seems too long for that? If you look closely at it, one or more edges seem ragged and never smoothed. I wonder if this object once had a thin metal with contained the the logo or design which was crimped around it rather than on it, which might explain the ragged edges?
spike, I think we're getting close. It may be a wee bit small for a grill badge as almost all of the ones I've been looking at seem larger. Perhaps such things as this smaller badge were applied to licence plates in the old days?
stephen, buck up, you didn't lose the door prize yet. Nobody's come up with an photo example of this gizmo yet that looks like it. You're still in the running.