Gridwalker306
Gold Member
Tonight I went to a friends place, large old property. In the past I have found Indians/Mercs/jewelry there in the past. Well, as soon as I got there the first coin I dug was the silver nickel.
You know when how you dig a cool target you instantly say something like "sweet, a Merc!" or "A Barber, yeah baby!". Well, as soon as I knew what it was, my knee jerk reaction without thinking was "oh man, it's an OD nickel!". As soon as I heard myself say it I paused, and then I started laughing. Anybody watching me would think I was crazy.
I think we all have something we want so badly to dig, simply because we haven't yet. Out of all the things Old Dude has dug, why not a humble "war nickel"?
For me it's the elusive Walking Half. I have dug 4 Barber halves, a Morgan, SLQs, Vickies, Barber quarters and dimes, fishscales....the list goes on and on...but I can't seem to find a Walker to save my life. When I see people post them it makes me happy for them, but makes me jealous haha!



(The Button, bracelet, and 18 pennies were dug yesterday at a different location.)
You know when how you dig a cool target you instantly say something like "sweet, a Merc!" or "A Barber, yeah baby!". Well, as soon as I knew what it was, my knee jerk reaction without thinking was "oh man, it's an OD nickel!". As soon as I heard myself say it I paused, and then I started laughing. Anybody watching me would think I was crazy.
I think we all have something we want so badly to dig, simply because we haven't yet. Out of all the things Old Dude has dug, why not a humble "war nickel"?
For me it's the elusive Walking Half. I have dug 4 Barber halves, a Morgan, SLQs, Vickies, Barber quarters and dimes, fishscales....the list goes on and on...but I can't seem to find a Walker to save my life. When I see people post them it makes me happy for them, but makes me jealous haha!




(The Button, bracelet, and 18 pennies were dug yesterday at a different location.)
Upvote
26
I also think of OD when I dig a silver war nickle.
Pulled 3 from one property in June. All liberty's are still on my bucket list. From what I know of the area is that there were many detectorist back in the 70's in this town. This is why large silvers are very scarce for me A guy pulled over the other day while I was at the "Brick House" He was telling me that he and his buddy detected that yard back in 1974. I am very thankful that the 1812 5 frank was 10" deep, too deep for the old detectors.









