Thoughts??

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think the saddest part is that it really takes away from the real prospectors.

In my tale of finding Maine gold, I have tried to tell it all, and while I have been fortunate to find both placer and lode gold, it has not been easy. I have mentioned the trips where it was a two mile snowshoe hike only to find the stream and outcropping of rock had been snow covered, but even then it is hard to put into words sometimes the feeling of frozen fingers and toes, falling in a five foot pile of snow, and the hours and hours of just looking at maps trying to figure out where the glaciers were, where the melting water went, and what bedrock looks like under the soil.

That is really the injustice because people see a youtube video and figure, "oh it is so easy", but that is hardly the case.

Considering how so many get afflicted with gold fever and read the stories and books about gold discoveries, but so few actually find real gold; a nonsense tale is really an injustice to those of us that have.

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
There are places with huge amounts of gold. There are also places where the animals will eat you. Then there are the places where the people will eat you. Unfortunately, they are usually the same places. I am staying in Maine, measuring my gold in milligrams but enjoying every day of it.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real Prospecting/Mining typically requires some hard work if not a lot of hard work. Usually a basic requirement of prospecting/mining is to be out doors or in the country or in a hard to get to spot if not out in some really bad country. The mineral Au is where you find it and quite often it is not where you expect it to be. To put up videos that we as folks that actually get "Out There" feel are suspect of being unreal is at best Unkind to newbies or neophytes to the real world of prospecting and it could lead them in wrong directions that could be dangerous for them as they may not be prepared for the Reality of What is Really Out There that They Must Deal With day in and out.

Some folks have been just plain lucky (the very first nuggets that started the 1849 Cali Gold Rush) as they found gold so easily the first time out. Then it becomes a quest for more however, you had best enjoy it out there as finding Au in quantity each time one goes out looking for it can take a lot of time and a lot of work to keep finding more of that yellow mineral in quantities that will keep a person comfortable all year long till the prospecting season starts again.

185_8515.JPG Just the digging, boulder movement and work to get to this ~1/4 oz. Troy took several days of solid hard work and then the area was filled back in.

Real effort is required "out there" so be prepared for it!.................63bkpkr

P.S. The coin is a Walking Liberty Half Dollar (not found out there)

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please remember to keep political cartoons and comments out of the forums and using characters to by pass our censor STILL violates our rules.

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It takes a lot of persistence, and patience.

I hiked a few miles yesterday hoping to check a few spots in a stream, and some outcroppings of rock. Both were still under snow though. I could hear the water running, but it was under the ice...patience Orecart, patience. Someday Spring will arrive!

But it really is never a wasted effort. I still found some quartz along the rock walls, and a giant boulder had remnants of quartz along its shear line, so it was a lot of hiking, for some clues. And while it was probably not worth it, that is what prospecting is. You just keep getting out there, and by shear number of observations, you get a better and better picture of where the gold should be.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold nuggets..NOT..I call bullshit.jpg

Pouring maple syrup on a moose turd don't make it a pancake.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think we should stop watching their video (because they earn ad revenue from every view), and should let this thread die.
Orecart I'm enjoying your other thread about your exploration in Maine - please keep adding to that thread (and not this one).

- Brian

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just gonna leave this here!!

:dontknow: :icon_scratch::unhappysmiley:

he says they find 43 grams

shows a sell reciept...

interesting to say the least.

Didn't watch the vid, but from the pic it looks like the stuff they crank out on the bogus UFO sites. WAIT!!!!! I may be being a little harsh! Those might be alien turds from Uranus!

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Didn't watch the vid, but from the pic it looks like the stuff they crank out on the bogus UFO sites. WAIT!!!!! I may be being a little harsh! Those might be alien turds from Uranus!

Yeah, the whole thing sort of stinks doesn't it? (Get it...stinks...Uranus).

Kind of like how Pluto must smell like a wet dog, and Saturn has the new car smell, Mars smells like a chocolate bar and Mercury...wait for it...smells like Mercury!

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
It takes a lot of persistence, and patience.

I hiked a few miles yesterday hoping to check a few spots in a stream, and some outcroppings of rock. Both were still under snow though. I could hear the water running, but it was under the ice...patience Orecart, patience. Someday Spring will arrive!

But it really is never a wasted effort. I still found some quartz along the rock walls, and a giant boulder had remnants of quartz along its shear line, so it was a lot of hiking, for some clues. And while it was probably not worth it, that is what prospecting is. You just keep getting out there, and by shear number of observations, you get a better and better picture of where the gold should be.

There is more gold here in Maine than people realize.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread