What's new

Threaded tube with spoon? Found with LC in CA...

staydetuned

Full Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
217
Reaction score
136
Golden Thread
1
Location
San Francisco, California
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Howdy folks, I don't post here too often but require the help of true experts. This was found at an old homestead dating to the 1850s (along with a counterstamped Large Cent - very rare for California - which rolled out of my pocket on the train ride home to be lost forever :'( ). I have the feeling it's more modern with the threading and machining, but I'm curious...

Here's what it looked like when I found it:

Post-12-09-10-12.webp

When I opened it we were surprised to see this spoonlike handle attached to the end. There was surprisingly little corrosion, but it was watertight (empty) when I opened it. (There was a rubber O ring at the end of the threads which crumbled upon opening.)

Post-12-09-10-13.webp

Looks to be brass, a little over 3.5 inches long and 3/4 inch wide. Also it has some markings on the base:

Post-12-09-10-14.webp

My hunting partner and I were toying with the idea of a turn-of-the-century "medicine" applicator. Another friend suggested something to do with gunpowder. But is it more modern?

Any and all help would be appreciated, and I thank you in advance for looking!

Oh yeah, I also found this. I've found others before, but I have NO IDEA what it is. Any ideas? Thanks!!!

Post-12-09-10-11.webp
 
The top item looks a WWI era rifle oiler, part of a kit that the infantryman would carry. Tony
 
Upvote 0
it is for oiling rifle parts.when i served in the uk army ,ours we made of plastic.I believe its british issued because of the arrow stamped on it.
 
Upvote 0
your second item appears to be a cable clamp
 
Upvote 0
Tony in SC said:
The top item looks a WWI era rifle oiler, part of a kit that the infantryman would carry. Tony

Excellent ID. British Enfiled Rifle oiler. Pictured is WWII era

SMLE_BRASS_OILER_001.JPG


DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Sniffer Elf said:
your second item appears to be a cable clamp

Right on. I don't know what it's called, but cablevision uses these to string their cables from pole to pole.
 
Upvote 0
Woo, that was quick! Thanks guys for your help! I knew it wouldn't take too long with all the knowledge on here... Now to find an older and more interesting whatzit!

Thanks!

Jayson
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom