Three Month Sterling Drought is Over. Sterling Rosary set in Fancy Gilt Brass Box.

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been re-covering some sites I've done but with oversized coil. It has really paid off in my original honey hole. The bent up spoon (marked Holmes & Edwards), clock plate, 1910 wheaty,watch dial, modern psalm 23 token, piece of costume jewelry and rosery set are from this site. Up to 6 silver items from there now. Rosery set was in its brass box with lid semi ajar and upside down the hole. Its box is a bit bent up and was clearly hit by something in the field. It was A complete garbage signal too but clear. It looks like Jesus came
un-soldered from cross though... was dark out so I missed it possibly in plug. Going to recruit my friend Colin to help try and find Jesus. 😆 big spoon is from a creek hunt. Rogers brothers mark. Pattern was made 1908 to like 1918.

Attachments

• 20221022_132834.jpg
    20221022_132834.jpg
    843.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Upvote 11

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice little haul. Just some additional info for you.

Holmes & Edwards didn’t make sterling flatware. They produced low-cost plated flatware. However, when William Warner went to work for them, the quality of their flatware benefited from his two patents (granted 1884 and 1886) for a process known as “sterling silver inlay”. The base metal cutlery was inlaid with pieces of sheet sterling silver before then being silver plated, but only at the positions known to be subject to the highest degree of wear… as shown below:

Inlaid.jpg

The large spoon is in “Vintage” pattern, which was designed by Samuel Stohr in 1904 and used by both Meriden Britannia and Rogers Brothers for a number of years, but only as a silver plate pattern.

Vintage.jpg

OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice little haul. Just some additional info for you.

Holmes & Edwards didn’t make sterling flatware. They produced low-cost plated flatware. However, when William Warner went to work for them, the quality of their flatware benefited from his two patents (granted 1884 and 1886) for a process known as “sterling silver inlay”. The base metal cutlery was inlaid with pieces of sheet sterling silver before then being silver plated, but only at the positions known to be subject to the highest degree of wear… as shown below:

View attachment 2051850

The large spoon is in “Vintage” pattern, which was designed by Samuel Stohr in 1904 and used by both Meriden Britannia and Rogers Brothers for a number of years, but only as a silver plate pattern.

View attachment 2051851
Thank you for the information. By far find mostly silver plated spoons like the ones shown. Only have one sterling silver one, but it's a good one. If I'll ever find the Jesus from the cross ill repost. Going to be tough because it would be pretty small.

Attachments

• IMG_20221009_122409_153.jpg
    IMG_20221009_122409_153.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been re-covering some sites I've done but with oversized coil. It has really paid off in my original honey hole. The bent up spoon (marked Holmes & Edwards), clock plate, 1910 wheaty,watch dial, modern psalm 23 token, piece of costume jewelry and rosery set are from this site. Up to 6 silver items from there now. Rosery set was in its brass box with lid semi ajar and upside down the hole. Its box is a bit bent up and was clearly hit by something in the field. It was A complete garbage signal too but clear. It looks like Jesus came
un-soldered from cross though... was dark out so I missed it possibly in plug. Going to recruit my friend Colin to help try and find Jesus. 😆 big spoon is from a creek hunt. Rogers brothers mark. Pattern was made 1908 to like 1918.
Nice!!! Congrats!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread