ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
As we do a countdown we can start with a nickle trio or whatever you call it. A 1904 V, a 1925 buffalo and a 1973 Jefferson. Then we have a 1942 Washington and two mercs. Counting down we then have a 18K gold ring with the date 4-25-31 inside. If the ring looks familiar it is because I have found three of these rings with flowers, 18K white gold in this spot now. One was yesterday. The other gold is a 1947 10K class ring.

Now for the possible citation. I am NOT going to explain the whole story here at all, YET. If the citation comes I will go to court and plead innocent. It is illegal to swim, wade, or dive in the Detroit river ANYWHERE in the city limits unless in a designated swim area. Because of ALL the judgemental people on here I am reserving my story till after court if there is one.

Lets just say that I will only get the citation because I question people that push their authority around. Maybe I deserve it, maybe I don't. However, I am not opening myself up to ridicule like I did on my thread about having the police called on me over 20 times. IF the judge feels I deserve it and get a 500.00 fine so be it. This time it was the Wayne County Sheriff patrol boat that pushed my buttons the wrong way. I don't like being threatened by ANYONE PERIOD.

I ask that everybody refrain from judgments or comments. I know what I did, what I could have done different and my reasons. I am honest with my posts and I wrote this because of frustration and only being able to make a dive and a half.

Back to my finds. I did get a very small sterling religious medal and another small gold plated pendant. Also two brass rings and a brass earring EXCEPT it has a GOLD post!! More gold!

All three rings with flowers. All 18K white gold:

Last edited:
Upvote 24
Great finds!! :occasion14:
Too bad some people just like to push their weight around. Give me a break, you just want to go out and enjoy your hobby.
Good for you, If you dont speak up for yourself no one will. Best of luck...

All of the old nickles I find are completely destroyed by dirt. I would love to find nickles like you do, that still have value to a collector. Nice finds as usual, and please don't let a bad experience bring you down, your posts are an inspiration to me.

Nice finds. Best of luck with the rest!

I was the wader they kicked out...

Been hunting there since the beginning of last season.. Never had any issues till today..

You think it has something to do with the scuba diving ordinance in the Detroit River? The one you knew about already? The way they talked to you it sounds like you were already told to leave once before.. What about the coast guard that sent you packing? Maybe it was all the fishermen you upset every time you enter at the fishing pier?

I don't know what all you've done, I do know it looks to be finished by you single handedly..

Last season there were 14 hunters there throughout any given week.. Not one issue till you showed up..

Thankfully I got what I did, including 64 pieces of gold..

Nice work Bob...:thumbsup:

<°)))>{

Obviously with human populations what they are, there "do have" to be some restrictions. But to totally ban everyone from everything due to the flagrant crap from one or two is wrong! Set up some sort of monitoring and find the bad people, then go after the individuals - NOT the whole hobby!

SD, I don't know you other than what I've read online. You claim to be a retired police officer. Cool, great!! I cannot know for sure, but I have no real reason to doubt that. Hell, you even "seem" like a cop much of the time! (...and I mean that in the best of ways!! :occasion14:) I don't blame you for taking the risk, but you also should know that if caught, you could (and maybe have) made it more difficult to get the laws/rules repealed. Likewise, just the stance of fighting for what you believe to be right and what you see as just and unjust may, also, be what is needed to repeal bad laws.

I don't know the area you speak of, and I don't know the laws or reasons behind the laws, but I certainly hope you don't back down. Too many people have been rolling over and letting lawmakers steamroll everything to the point that it's common practice, and it truly needs to stop! People are paying enough in taxes (including many things not called "taxes") that most areas "should" be able to do a better job of policing an area when a problem occurs, rather than to simply ban everyone from everything.

Ice Scratcher - Again, I don't know you or the area there, or especially the circumstances behind what took place. But you also have to factor in that there are times when even peace officers are having a bad day. It may not have had anything to do with either you OR SD there today - just that "SOMEONE WAS THERE!!" Again, maybe that was the case, maybe not - I have no possible way of knowing. All I ask is, unless you have some way of knowing, please don't simply point the finger. If SD was in the wrong, he should pay. Period. ...Lesson learned. But there "are" times when you can be as polite and as courteous as possible with people, including law enforcement, and yet they only care to harass you. It happens. ...All I'm saying is that we all need to try to be a little more obliging during those times. Always be courteous to LE - they have one hell of a job!! Imagine having to wake up each day not knowing if there's a bullet or 2 (or 10 or 30) with your name on it/them. That kind of thought would mess me up!! ...Which is why I was a fire fighter. ...I trust fire MUCH more than trust people with guns!! ...Bullets move faster than flames, too. Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Oh, that last part isn't directed to you, but to all of us - everything after the word "Period.".

Sorry to hear your day got shortened like that. Nice finds all the same. Funny how they waited till the end of the season. Also funny how a guy from another detecting website signed up here just in time to reply to this post. Also funny that he has been knowingly violating the ordinance, apparently for some time, but it's all your fault! I don't blame you for taking umbrage with the attitude that you were approached with. It seems like here in Michigan it is a sheriff thing. The city police use common sense and good judgment. Likewise the state police. Sheriff deputies, not so much. I have embarrassed them on more than one occasion, not related to detecting. Well any way, good luck.

KCM,

Well written..

My being upset is pretty much due to the attention that Scuba had personally brought to a location that I first shared with him.. No other hunter has brought attention to this location like he has..

He has posted the name and pictures of this place on here.. Or shared it with you as he sees it.. He is a diver and doesn't care how many shallow water hunters show up.. There has been plenty for sure..

The fact that he argued with the County Sheriff to the point of a citation has only brought more unneeded attention to this location..

He is an experienced diver and knows it's unlawful to dive in the river in Detroit..

Detroit police land more than 16 vehicles auto-fishing the Detroit river | MLive.com

If anyone is jealous it's him blowing up a site we've been hunting for over a year and a half.. Seems he's done with it and burning the place down on his way out.. The sheriff that kicked me out actually thought I was him at first.. How many happy cops do you think Detroit has? What do you think they'll think, the next time they see another guy metal detecting? Right or wrong you gotta pick your battles within practical reason..

It's too bad really..

Here are most of my finds from that spot from last season.. As you can see, I have no reason to be jealous of him..

R.I.P Belle, you've been a sweet, sweet gal!

IMG_20150626_014046_zpsz2dwxjy5.jpg

<°)))>{

Last edited by a moderator:
Scuba was on the other MD site before here, he was reprimanded for breaking the same rules this site has..

And he came here so.. Mark these words, it'll happen again...

<°)))>{

Last edited:
I didn't break any laws or ordinance..

It has to do with scuba diving, I don't dive..

I also never bothered fisherman, which is also illegal in the state of Michigan..

<°)))>{

Also funny that he has been knowingly violating the ordinance, apparently for some time,

Before you make false accusations..

This is the wording of the law that I could find...

Sec. 23-2-2. - Swimming and underwater diving; prohibitions.

(a)

A person shall not swim, bathe, or engage in underwater diving operations outside of buoyed and designated swim areas, except when authorized by the city police department harbormaster.

I was not swimming, bathing, or diving..

<°)))>{

I heard about the city ordinance and BEFORE I ever dove there this summer I talked to a state police officer on Belle Isle. He radioed the State conservation officers who also patrol it and they checked. I was given the green light to go ahead after over a half hour waiting with a state cop. I do NOT BREAK LAWS. They said they run Belle Isle and I was fine. I have talked to them weekly for the three months I have been there. All have been wonderful.

Last month a Detroit Police boat came up and said I was illegal. We talked and I told them what I was told by the State Police. They asked if I was staying in shallow water. I told them yes, I wasn't going out past the fishing pier. They said OK and LEFT. Didn't tell me to leave or get my name. SO, I REALLY THOUGHT I WAS NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG.

The coast guard CLOSED the water to EVERYONE. Boaters and swimmers at the swimming beach because of a race that weekend. PERIOD. NOBODY could be in the water anywhere the hydroplanes were for safety reasons. Had absolutely NOTHING to do with the city ordinance.

I have absolutely NO idea where you are coming from Ice, stating I have upset anyone on the fishing pier. ALL of them have been talkative and very nice to me. No fisherman has ever complained to the state or the conservation officers or they would have told me. I have never got that close to it to bother any of them. STOP making things up. You admonish another member on here for making false accusations. Looks like the pot calling the kettle black.

I don't do what I want, I play within the law so I thought. I will take the fight to the courts. I stay out of busy lakes on the weekend and this has been the safest place. I am not hurting anyone.

I had NO idea wading or swimming was also illegal in the Detroit River. You guys have been wading there for years. I had ABSOLUTELY NO idea you waders had been breaking the law.

I dive all day long when I can. It is the only thing I have left in life that I can enjoy. My neck hurts so much, diving in cooler water helps it. I also think detecting helps keep my mind off the pain. When I can't dive anymore I will probably give up on life. All I do is look forward to summer so I can play in the water.

So I draw attention to myself with a dive flag. The LAW is I have to have one. So maybe I should break the law and the police have NO idea I am in the water. I know I used to do that. But that is breaking a STATE law. If I got hurt by a boater, it would be 100% my fault. DETROIT is the ONLY CITY with an ordinance prohibiting diving in the river. We will see how they THINK they can own an international waterway. I am going to hire a lawyer. The state police run Belle Isle. They gave me the green light.

I will fight for what I feel is right and NOT be told how and when I can play in the water by ANYBODY, unless I really am doing something illegal. I refuse to have my rights taken away.

Ice, I left the other site because ONE moderator treated me different than others. I got a weeks vacation for calling a liar a liar and another poster called me a name and he didn't get a vacation. I am NOT breaking any rules here. And so far all the mods have treated me fair.

Yes KCM, I was a state police officer until my parents were killed by a guy on drugs. Hit them head on and I came back to Michigan to bury them. I also won't go into detail on that at all. I am not retired from that job. It was a forced quit.

Last edited:
Before you make false accusations..

This is the wording of the law that I could find...

Sec. 23-2-2. - Swimming and underwater diving; prohibitions.\\(a)

A person shall not swim, bathe, or engage in underwater diving operations outside of buoyed and designated swim areas, except when authorized by the city police department harbormaster.

I was not swimming, bathing, or diving..

<°)))>{

Ice, the ONLY reason you come to this site is to bash me. Your first posts were deleted. I knew you would come back and that is why I mentioned what happened yesterday instead of being quiet about it. Just like the text you sent me on the phone. Should I tell everyone what it was?

I upset you by posting pictures of where I play so you come here and attack. You have my number, you were a friend. You could have called instead of attacking me here. I might have made a mistake by posting the pictures. HOWEVER, not a single new wader has ever touched that spot. NONE.

If you were not breaking the law, you could have stood up for yourself to the sheriff also. Saying goodbye to the sweet lady on here. Really?

The law was read to me totally different. However, it doesn't matter. The Detroit river is an INTERNATIONAL waterway with Canada on the other side. The State Police run Belle Isle. I was given the green light by THEM and the State Conservation Officers that are patrolling it. I was ALSO given the green light by a Detroit Police Harbormaster Sgt. Although he stated yesterday he meant only for that day. NOT WHAT HE SAID LAST MONTH.

I will let the court figure this one out. I won't say another word about it.

Last edited:
Well, I don't wanna get in the middle of something, but I gotta say that I "feel" like siding with SD on this. Ice, what you posted as the law, to "me", seems pretty much all-inclusive. There are many laws that are simply not enforced - this is probably one of them under normal circumstances. If there was some sort of upcoming race, that would certainly explain the extra precautions. Maybe the officers were "told" to tell people that it was against the law, while they were in the process of asking people to leave. Probably doesn't mean anything, except that they'll most likely look the other way again once the race/events are over with.

Officers often get stuck between a rock and a hard place. On one hand, they're supposed to enforce all the laws. However, they aren't lawyers, therefore "most" will look the other way, especially if in doubt or if it's obvious someone is causing no harm and in no danger. However, if word comes from higher up that they should tell people how there is a law, then they have to do it. They have no way of knowing when/if there may be someone out there testing them to see if they do their job....like a plant. Officers are just people. However, they are people doing a difficult job under sometimes very hazardous conditions, and they almost "always" have this invisible target on their back. And again, anyone can have an off-day. If an officer were to come at me with an attitude, I'd fire right back at them! ...Verbally speaking, of course! :tongue3: I try to treat everyone as though I'm having a good day, even when I'm not. Sometimes I fail. I can only assume that other people are as un-perfect as I, so I must also be able to take our flaws into consideration.

...I hope very much that this mostly clears up this incident. There's no evidence on either side of fault or wrong-doing, other than SD's own admission that he was diving in shallow water with his detector, while following all safety rules. This is a nice thread - great finds!! Hate the thought that it gets soiled up by a conversation that, by all rights, should probably have its own thread in General Discussion or something.

There's been several times I've spoken up in a similar way, only to get a lot of negative feedback. Ice, thank you for commenting on my wording - that was very kind. But it's a shame that in such a popular forum as Tnet, that people can sometimes be treated in a way that drives them away. I don't want to drive ANYONE away!! The more, the merrier, right?? But again, I'm the type that just cannot sit by and watch things go from bad to worse without at least TRYING to stop or slow things down. And as I said, it has often made me "WANT" to just rip out the internet, save the $60/month (for 6 gigs) that I'm paying for it, and never have anything more to do with online. ...But then I think of the many times I "do" get to help. That's what I live for - to help folks. Doesn't matter if I get a thank you or anything....just like to do good things where I can.

NOTE (before posting): I've read and re-read this post and, even though I'm not overly comfortable with it, will post it anyhow. ...Guess I just don't deal well with times when tensions run a little high. The point I'm trying to make is, I hope we (ALL) can try a little harder to be more accepting and forgiving of posts. It's obvious when someone posts something with malicious intent, and that's what I'm hoping to avoid. In real life, we can simply walk away - but posts and threads stay here for many years. Just hoping you good folks will forgive the sometimes unusual way I have of trying to intervene.

...Seems I spent too long messing with that last post - nearly an hour! :BangHead:

Cool Finds ! Nice Pics !

as for the "possible" citation, or even if it turns into a citation in hand.
No judgements from me. I was put on this earth to Enjoy Myself, not be a Judge.
(there was No money in my mailbox for it).
good luck :thumbsup:

Scuba was on the other MD site before here, he was reprimanded for breaking the same rules this site has..

And he came here so.. Mark these words, it'll happen again...

<°)))>{

We don't enforce other forums Rules Here.

in other words, What someone does elsewhere on the net Doesn't Matter !

TreasureNet :treasurechest: is all anyone needs 8-)

Last edited:
To dive or not to dive... has always been the question...

God how I love Shakespeare. :)

Last edited:
Ice, the ONLY reason you come to this site is to bash me. Your first posts were deleted. I knew you would come back and that is why I mentioned what happened yesterday instead of being quiet about it. Just like the text you sent me on the phone. Should I tell everyone what it was?

I upset you by posting pictures of where I play so you come here and attack. You have my number, you were a friend. You could have called instead of attacking me here. I might have made a mistake by posting the pictures. HOWEVER, not a single new wader has ever touched that spot. NONE.

If you were not breaking the law, you could have stood up for yourself to the sheriff also. Saying goodbye to the sweet lady on here. Really?

The law was read to me totally different. However, it doesn't matter. The Detroit river is an INTERNATIONAL waterway with Canada on the other side. The State Police run Belle Isle. I was given the green light by THEM and the State Conservation Officers that are patrolling it. I was ALSO given the green light by a Detroit Police Harbormaster Sgt. Although he stated yesterday he meant only for that day. NOT WHAT HE SAID LAST MONTH.

I will let the court figure this one out. I won't say another word about it.

Feel Free to post all the Pictures you want.

TreasureNet Rules ! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back