Three more silvers today from the Boy Scout camp plus...........

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Friends............well it was a beeeee-autiful day here in Central Pennsylvania and it was a great day to be detecting in the woods. 75 degrees, overcast, no bugs, no skeeters, and lots of good targets.

I turned up the AC Sensitivity 2 notches and the Preamp Gain 2 notches, and proved to nail some good targets.

The abandoned Boy Scout camp keeps on giving up its goodies and here is what I got today........

2 Barber Dimes: 1908-O and 1914
1 Mercury Dime: 1917
1 Indianhead Cent: 1888
5 Wheat Cents: 1916, 1925, 1940, 1944, 1953
2 flat buttons
1 Sterling Silver medal
Men Pleasure Park 31 (metal tag)

Attachments

• All Today\'s Coins.jpg
    All Today\'s Coins.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 673
  • Three Silver Coins.jpg
    Three Silver Coins.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 654
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UnEarthed72 said:
Awesome finds Rich..nice barbers.

How did you find an abandoned boy scout camp?

In the winter of 1997, I was at our public library browsing thru the old newspapers on microfiche, and noticed alot of headlines, publicity, news about the local Boy Scouts going to camp. Kept on following up and knew the county where it was located, until I finally asked an oldtimer if he knew where it was, and he gave me directions right to it. Started up around 1910 and was abandoned in the 40's, and I have been pounding it since the Spring of 1998. Produced lots and lots of coins. Too big to be hunted out. Its a great place. ............Rich

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Awesome site man

You got me looking for a camp or something close around here,thanks for the info..hope you find alot more

Shawn

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Great finds! DrDetector took me to a similar site in our neck of the woods; I never knew it existed and drove within a mile of it countless times. He did very well there over the course of a few years.

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Looks like a great day! Awesome finds Rich! I have an old B.S. camp near me that still has a few structures. Just got my order from Kellyco today and am dying to get out to start learning. Looking forward to the GPAA event!

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro, Quest x10 idmaXx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on those nice silvers.

3searchin

Jun 20, 2006
3 in Central PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, Whites TDI beachhunter
Nice finds from central PA

I see your in Shamokin !!!.......I used to cruise the strip up there in my young and dumb days !

I wish I could have gotten out today. I'm just glad to see someone did...

HH
3S

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Great finds, WTG!!!
Looks to be a very nice site to hunt...

One other thing,, what's the story on the 1888 Indian Head?... It looks bigger than normal and seem to have a rim around the center... Seems kinda odd, the feathers aren't deformed in any way. and the rim looks to have been done before, or at the same time as, it was stamped...
Funny_IH.jpg

Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leon said:
Great finds, WTG!!!
Looks to be a very nice site to hunt...

One other thing,, what's the story on the 1888 Indian Head?... It looks bigger than normal and seem to have a rim around the center... Seems kinda odd, the feathers aren't deformed in any way. and the rim looks to have been done before, or at the same time as, it was stamped...

Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

I just checked very closely, don't see anything abnormal about it. The rim on the edge is worn smooth and gives the impression of being flat, but its the same size of my other Indians. I checked for 1888 over 7 but no overdate. But thanks for the heads up, it pays to be on top of things. Ya never know.............Rich

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You make hunting sound soooooo easy! 8) Beautiful finds! Maybe I should visit PA next year! ;D

Congrats and keep 'em coming!!!

Nana ;)

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Finds Rich

There's a very large Boy Scout Camp near me in Michigan that I need to hit before it falls victim to the developers' dozer blades. The Chicago Scouts want to sell it to a developer but the township's currently been able to block that. It's a very beautiful large natural area that is going to be destroyed once the developer's big money wins out.....as it always does. It's still a functioning scout camp but not near the level as it used to be and has been in existence since the early 'teens. I can detect there during the off-season after paying a $3.00 day use fee (sounds reasonable to me....lots of people pay the day use fee for other stuff) I just haven't gotten around to it. I think I'll get more serious about it when I get home from Iraq in the spring.

Anyway...Nice finds and Congrats!!

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Nice Finds Rich

SgtSki in MI said:
There's a very large Boy Scout Camp near me in Michigan that I need to hit before it falls victim to the developers' dozer blades. The Chicago Scouts want to sell it to a developer but the township's currently been able to block that. It's a very beautiful large natural area that is going to be destroyed once the developer's big money wins out.....as it always does. It's still a functioning scout camp but not near the level as it used to be and has been in existence since the early 'teens. I can detect there during the off-season after paying a $3.00 day use fee (sounds reasonable to me....lots of people pay the day use fee for other stuff) I just haven't gotten around to it. I think I'll get more serious about it when I get home from Iraq in the spring.

Anyway...Nice finds and Congrats!!

Hey Ski, take care over there and God Bless you from a US Army vet.........SGT. 1971 to 1978.

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Rich!! If this rain stops I might have to get out and continue the PA hunters roll.

Hal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread