What's new

Thrift store buy Curtice Brothers

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2020
Messages
4,507
Reaction score
10,483
Golden Thread
0
Location
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out thrifting today and saw this for $2 and thought, why not? The imprint is hard to see...but it says Curtice Brothers Preservers. Rochester, NY. Any more info is welcome. I think it dates from the 1890's to 1915.

Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • 20260320_193828.webp
    20260320_193828.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 97
  • 20260320_193751.webp
    20260320_193751.webp
    909.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 20260320_193757.webp
    20260320_193757.webp
    779.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 20260320_200425.webp
    20260320_200425.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
You got the dates right. Its a ketchup bottle. I have dug literally 100s of them in 40+ years
 
You got the dates right. Its a ketchup bottle. I have dug literally 100s of them in 40+ years
Thanks PikesPeak,
I'm guessing because of the crease that goes to the top of the bottle it's a newer date? 1915? Would love to get one with the label still intact. :)
 
Thanks PikesPeak,
I'm guessing because of the crease that goes to the top of the bottle it's a newer date? 1915? Would love to get one with the label still intact. :)
The seam goes all the way to the top because the screw top was blown in the mold, it should have a fire polished lip, late 1890s - 1900,, or so. I don't remember when, but somewhere through the years I have seen them with the label
 
It's a great piece of American history, $2 is a fair price for one, they are very common and typically found more readily than most other bottles from the same time period.

Back then there was no refrigeration and food, particularly meat, was preserved by salting, pickling, drying, or smoking - none of which could be said made the experience of eating enjoyable (compared to fresh meat immediately cooked over a fire at least). Soaking ketchup into the food, which was often very dry or nearly rancid, made it juicy and tasty for pennies, as such ketchup, as well as other similar condiment bottles, comprise a large percentage of 19th-early 20th century trash found at campsites and homesteads.

The stereotypical image of a cowboy eating beans from a can is often accompanied with ketchup on those beans, and there was even a receipe in the Great Depression for soup made from ketchup mixed with hot water, and that was the entire meal. So the humble ketchup bottle, though common, is a quintessential part of our nation's history, and if that's not worth $2, I don't know what is.
 
It's a great piece of American history, $2 is a fair price for one, they are very common and typically found more readily than most other bottles from the same time period.

Back then there was no refrigeration and food, particularly meat, was preserved by salting, pickling, drying, or smoking - none of which could be said made the experience of eating enjoyable (compared to fresh meat immediately cooked over a fire at least). Soaking ketchup into the food, which was often very dry or nearly rancid, made it juicy and tasty for pennies, as such ketchup, as well as other similar condiment bottles, comprise a large percentage of 19th-early 20th century trash found at campsites and homesteads.

The stereotypical image of a cowboy eating beans from a can is often accompanied with ketchup on those beans, and there was even a receipe in the Great Depression for soup made from ketchup mixed with hot water, and that was the entire meal. So the humble ketchup bottle, though common, is a quintessential part of our nation's history, and if that's not worth $2, I don't know what is.
Fascinating...ketchup has an interesting history....I see old bottles from time to time at this store....they don't stay long...I think I might start a small collection 🤔
 
The seam goes all the way to the top because the screw top was blown in the mold, it should have a fire polished lip, late 1890s - 1900,, or so. I don't remember when, but somewhere through the years I have seen them with the label
Good to know Pikes,
Thanks!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom