thunk sound at the end of a coin tone

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am using the CTX3030 US Coins Pattern - FE-coin/gnd-coin. in Andy's Sabisch's book on page 114. In my hunting area it is very good at filtering and identifying US coins. But on some there is a small thunk sound after the high tone. I was wondering if that indicates anything important.

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you please video this phenomenon and post it so we can see (and hear) what you are talking about?

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will try to get it replicated and video and tell you the exact setting I was using on the CTX. I should have dug a few of them to see what was causing that little thunk at the end.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That thunk is a great sound to hear. If we are talking about the same sound it has a great indication of a coin hiding in trash or iron.

Dig that ALL day long....

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could you please video this phenomenon and post it so we can see (and hear) what you are talking about?
Ok, what I am finding out is this. Using WM10 I get the thunk, hooking the headphones directly to the CTX3030 I don't get the thunk. So I don't think it is target related. Maybe some bluetooth delay? Not sure. But now I don't like it because it is does not seem to be related to a type of target, but just annoying.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To the OP, if you haven’t seen it or paid CLOSE attention…go to 34 seconds into this video and listen as I sweep this target. With any of the FBS machines, if you are using Auto sensitivity on the CTX or eTrac, or Semi Auto on the Explorers, the machine is much more likely to make this sound. The “thunk” or “clunk” or “stutter” that you’re hearing in this particular video is the machine JUST seeing a target and then recovering back to threshold. They are WAY more likely to make this sound in Auto settings than they are in Manual sensitivity. Keep in mind, the CTX does NOT use Bluetooth. It uses WiStream when using the WM10 which is faster than Bluetooth with no noticeable latency. The Equinox also uses WiStream as long as you’re using the WM08.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To the OP, if you haven’t seen it or paid CLOSE attention…go to 34 seconds into this video and listen as I sweep this target. With any of the FBS machines, if you are using Auto sensitivity on the CTX or eTrac, or Semi Auto on the Explorers, the machine is much more likely to make this sound. The “thunk” or “clunk” or “stutter” that you’re hearing in this particular video is the machine JUST seeing a target and then recovering back to threshold. They are WAY more likely to make this sound in Auto settings than they are in Manual sensitivity. Keep in mind, the CTX does NOT use Bluetooth. It uses WiStream when using the WM10 which is faster than Bluetooth with no noticeable latency. The Equinox also uses WiStream as long as you’re using the WM08.

yes, I tested it without the wm10 just using speaker or headphones and it still was there. So if I turn off the threshold it should go away?. Not a big deal, but a little annoying when wearing headphones which I almost always do. And of course the headphones do make all sounds clearer.

But when I turned the threshold all the way down, still some clunking on some targets. Another poster said that he always digs thunking targets because it is almost always something good.

I am in my dig almost all targets learning phase with the CTX3030. I don't dig zinc pennies since I don't have time and I can most of the time tell them easily by location on the CO-FE grid and depth.

Last edited:

moreb

Nov 15, 2017
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
F75
Minelab Sovereign GT
Troy Shadow X5
Fisher 1266X
Garrett Freedom 2
Garrett Deepseeker ADS ll
Garrett Deepseeker TR/VLF
D-Tex RS 200
Garrett Groundhog TR/VLF
A.H. Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes, I tested it without the wm10 just using speaker or headphones and it still was there. So if I turn off the threshold it should go away?. Not a big deal, but a little annoying when wearing headphones which I almost always do. And of course the headphones do make all sounds clearer.

But when I turned the threshold all the way down, still some clunking on some targets. Another poster said that he always digs thunking targets because it is almost always something good.

I am in my dig almost all targets learning phase with the CTX3030. I don't dig zinc pennies since I don't have time and I can most of the time tell them easily by location on the CO-FE grid and depth.
Be careful with the zinc signals. I've dug shallow Indians with the same numbers. I would expect a seasoned CTX user can tell by the tone, I'm not there yet.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No, turning down the threshold below what you’re able to hear won’t get rid of the clunk. It’s going to try to return to threshold regardless of where the actual volume is set.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No, turning down the threshold below what you’re able to hear won’t get rid of the clunk. It’s going to try to return to threshold regardless of where the actual volume is set.
Well I guess I will just get used to it. It is not really that annoying. Now I do wish the CTX3030 had bin volume adjust like the 800. But that won't probably happen. Don't want them to mess with Xchang2 it is so easy to work with. I would rather set adjustments on the PC any day. Transferring them to the CTX is so intuitive and simple. Plug in the CTX to the USB port, drag and drop and unplug the cable. Can't see how they could get it in any fewer steps.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great video and info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread