THURSDAYS FINDS

SILVERHOUND

Apr 19, 2003
RALEIGH,NC
I SEARCHED THE YARD OF A 70+ YEAR OLD HOUSE IN CHAPEL HILL,NC.I FOUND 2 INTERESTING MULTIPLE COIN HOLES.THE FIRST I FOUND 11 WHEATS AND 4 1959 MEMORIALS IN ONE HOLE.NEXT I FOUND A 1920 WHEAT SO WORN AND THIN MY SOVEREIGN GAVE ME AN INDIAN HEAD SIGNAL.IVE FOUND SOME WORN CENTS,BUT THIS ONE IS PAPER THIN.THE NEXT HOLE INCLUDED A 51&52 WHEAT A 53 DIME AND A 1936 BUFFALO NICKEL.THIS WAS INTERESTING TO ME BECAUSE IVE WONDERED WHEN THE BUFFALO DISAPPEARED.DID THE BUFFALO NICKEL MAKE IT TO 1960?

Attachments

• CAM00348.jpg
    CAM00348.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 12
Upvote 0
The Buffalo Nickel went extinct in 1938. The Jefferson Nickel made its debut the same year.

NO DUH

:idea: COME ON,I KNOW WHEN A COIN SERIES WAS STARTED AND STOPPED.I WAS ONLY WONDERING HOW LONG IT STAYED IN CIRCULATION.THANK YOU THOUGH FOR SHARING YOUR GENIUS ON THIS TOPIC.

I believe the Buffalo dissappeared when the white man shot all of them. wink

Sorry, SILVERHOUND, I can only answer the question I see.

It looks like what you meant was: How long did the Buffalo Nickel stay in circulation after the pattern stopped being produced? Over the years I am familiar with, whenever there was a pattern change, the old pattern disappeared from circulation within about 5 years, give-or-take. Silver coinage disappeared a little faster after 1964-- most of it was gone within two years. One clue is how easy it is to find final-year coins in excellent condition, vs. the difficulty of obtaining excellent examples from the early issues. Of course this is not a hard-and-fast rule... I still find silver dimes and wheaties in circulation once in a while. I don't believe I have ever seen a buffalo in circulation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back