What's new

Tiffany for a buck, Hummel for two. Old Jug for Three

batcap

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2010
Messages
684
Reaction score
131
Golden Thread
0
Location
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I started at my favorite thrift store; Value Village. Aside from the jug posted on the "What's it Worth" board, I picked up a couple of Sony tower speakers for $20.

My other thrift store was having an annual sale where they bring out all the best stuff at the same time. I don't get it, it was only a little bit busier than usual. Anyway there I found 24pcs of Tiffany knives for a buck each, and a Hummel salt n' pepper shaker set for $4.

If you want to help with the jug, it's here:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,382233.0.html
 

Attachments

  • DinnerBladeDetailedit.webp
    DinnerBladeDetailedit.webp
    11.7 KB · Views: 533
  • HandleDetailedit.webp
    HandleDetailedit.webp
    20.2 KB · Views: 520
  • bottomExampleedit.webp
    bottomExampleedit.webp
    28.9 KB · Views: 535
  • 12Lunchedit.webp
    12Lunchedit.webp
    33 KB · Views: 518
Nice finds!!!

Are the knives sterling or silver plate?
 
clovis97 said:
Nice finds!!!

Are the knives sterling or silver plate?

Just plated copper handles, and pretty poor shape at that. I posted the luncheon knives, the dinner knives are worse. So far I haven't found this pattern so I can't eBay 'em properly.
 
awesome finds!!! i too look for various plated wares that are expensive brands, or copper under the plate, to scrap etc. keep it up and hh!
 
DigginThePast said:

That is IT! I'd be happy to get 1/20th of the Replacements.com price though. Theirs are imitations, but they're in perfect condition. Maybe spending a little time and effort (and minimal cash) on restoration would pay off.
 
batcap said:
DigginThePast said:

That is IT! I'd be happy to get 1/20th of the Replacements.com price though. Theirs are imitations, but they're in perfect condition. Maybe spending a little time and effort (and minimal cash) on restoration would pay off.
Collectors don't want restoration.. I think you would lower the value not raise the value
 
creeper71 said:
batcap said:
DigginThePast said:

That is IT! I'd be happy to get 1/20th of the Replacements.com price though. Theirs are imitations, but they're in perfect condition. Maybe spending a little time and effort (and minimal cash) on restoration would pay off.
Collectors don't want restoration.. I think you would lower the value not raise the value

You're probably right. I don't think I'd use them in their current condition though. Besides, an hour of research tells me there are two ways to re-plate them; either expensively or shoddily. I emailed replacements.com, do you know they buy flatware? And apparently I'm wrong about them being imitations. I think I'll toss the dinner knives on eBay for 7 days starting Monday evening and see what happens.
 
batcap said:
creeper71 said:
batcap said:
DigginThePast said:

That is IT! I'd be happy to get 1/20th of the Replacements.com price though. Theirs are imitations, but they're in perfect condition. Maybe spending a little time and effort (and minimal cash) on restoration would pay off.
Collectors don't want restoration.. I think you would lower the value not raise the value

You're probably right. I don't think I'd use them in their current condition though. Besides, an hour of research tells me there are two ways to re-plate them; either expensively or shoddily. I emailed replacements.com, do you know they buy flatware? And apparently I'm wrong about them being imitations. I think I'll toss the dinner knives on eBay for 7 days starting Monday evening and see what happens.
yes I knew they buy flatware.. a collector might want them for collection an they can restore it they like to.. btw I posted in bottle forum about your bottle
 
Kind of funny. I picked up a Hummel Art book yesterday at a thrift store. It is from 1978 and has over 400 pictures with prices. I figured it was worth a buck for the reference material. It's like this one:
 

Attachments

  • 419lKIKDvxL__SL500_AA300_.webp
    419lKIKDvxL__SL500_AA300_.webp
    10.6 KB · Views: 560

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom