Dec 14, 2015
Henrico, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hiya,

Found these 2 bottles in Elmira, NY.

The Tilden & Co bottle appears to be cornflower blue (or a faded cobolt) and has the reversed embossing AND the "N" is backwards. I have done some preliminary research on this bottle and believe this is a mold engraving error.

The other cologne bottle still has a label (see pic) but haven't found too much as yet.

Can anyone offer background/history and value of either/both?

IMG_20151214_110758705.jpg IMG_20151214_110916090.jpg IMG_20151214_111003114.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
One of the oldest pharmeceutical companies in the US, Tilden Co., was based in New Lebanon, CT and produced a wide variety of quack medicines. One particular bottle, Tilden’s Elixir Iodo-Bromide of Calcium Comp., was said to cure Syphilis. Tilden was inspired by the Shakers, a nearby religious commune that practiced Botany since the late 1700s. He began making all types of pharmeceutical products in the late 1800s, some of which were actually exported to other countries. (Source: http://www.odditiesstore.com/vintage-tilden-co-elixir-for-syphilis-bottle/)
Don.....
PS: The shape of yours reminds me more of a tablet bottle than containing liquid--IMO

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions