Time for a small break

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i knew it was coming , but hoped it would be a while longer ,my 13 yr old son and MD partner is bored with MD and more interested in Soccer, his Buddies and a certain strawberry blond cutie and not necessarily in that order.
We started the spring off with a Bang and found our first and only CW relic , a couple early 1900's relics and around 10 dollars in clad , as well as a handful of nails , twist caps and pull tabs.
so between the heat and the lack of finds on the last few digs he has become preoccupied .
i have 2 yards that we have permission to hunt now , but i told him i can not promise we will find anything , but his answer is " not today dad " but on the other hand he does not want me to go without him....
so i am trying to stay positive and look at it as a chance to do some research and find us more places for when he is ready.....just hard to keep at it though.

does this happen with other people ? be it children of friends , if so any positive comments tips or ideas would be appreciated . :)

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best way to keep him interested is to continue to hunt. Id just tell him you need to get to these new spots soon, with or without him. then plan set a date and go. Even if he doesn't go with, your finds and stories about your hunts may get his interest back at some point.

Last edited:

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure when the weather cools off you all will be out there at least once a week. Try and set one day of the week like a Sunday that is only reserved for MDing and also if you get a chance take him on a trip to Williamsburg,Virginia or to some of the battlefield areas in Virginia like Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania or even Gettysburg to peak his interest.. Let me know if you ever come this way to Virginia and I can give you a tour of some of the civil war camp sites we hunt around Fredericksburg area and we can even dig out a hut or two, I do that quite often and have met a few interesting folks here on TN that I have taken out hunting.

OP
OP
mical66

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
these all sound like great ideas and i think i will stoke the fire tonight and inform him we need to move on the 1 property this weekend weather permitting , because the owners will be doing there landscaping soon, they are almost finished remodeling the house , its a early 1900,s but the lot is from part of the original down town when it was settled in the late 1700,s.
then if i have to i will take either my other son or daughter , hell even my wife has said before she would like to check it out some time, ( yet when i ask she declines ).

as for getting the girlfriend interested ,,,,hmm that may be hard , since we as the parents are not allowed to talk to her yet,,lol
when i pick him up from the movies or drop him off , i have to stop as soon as he sees his group of friends and let him out, or when i pick him up when sees me he cuts a line for me and gets as far away from his friends,,, but being the loving responsible father i am , i always drive by the group slowly and wave at all his buddies and the young ladies...:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread