What's new

Tiny arrowhead

Ivybridge

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2012
Messages
66
Reaction score
43
Golden Thread
0
Location
Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought this at an estate sale, it was in with some other broken pieces and fossils, I didn't even notice it till I was home. It's really tiny, only about 1/2" long and there is a handwritten label that reads Mayan Indian 100-1200 AD Mexico on the underside of the container. I was at the sale for the rocks and minerals as they had an extensive collection and I admit that I don't know much about artifacts. Would something this small be authentic? What would it of been used for? What is it made of? Any information is very much appreciated!

Thank you!
Angel :hello:

Photo Jul 31, 12 31 50 PM.webp
 
Upvote 0
Welcome to the site! It's a pretty little thing...about how big is it? And yes it looks authentic to me but I'm not familiar with that region's artifacts. Hang tight and someone will come along and tell you the type and all about it...we've go some very knowledgeable people on the forum.
 
Thanks NCPeaches! It's tiny... about 1/2" long... I'm sure you could fit 2 of them inside of a dime. :)
 
Hello & welcome to the site also! :) It might be a good idea to post it on the site below this one "Central/South American" since it's Mayan, they'd probably know....it is very cute!
 
thats a really nice point,id say it is real.thanks for sharing
 
Hello Angel !
That's pretty arrowhead.
That looks to be a TOYAH.
They are normally found from West Texas-to Mexico-to New Mexico triangle. Trade networks could have moved it anywhere during it's lifetime.
They are true arrowheads, and date from some 200 years ago to about 1800 years ago.
Thanks for showing.
Lone Star
 
Lone Star,
Good call. It is definitely a Toyah. They are beautiful points.
Ivy,
Here are some in a frame from northern Mexico. image.webp
 
Before anyone asks, the frame of points is from a collection of a very good friend of mine.
 
There is defiantly some skill and good eyesight required to make those gems.
 
Thank you all so much! Amazing how something so tiny can survive so well. I enjoy learning new things so I'm going to read up on Toyah some. :)

I think I'll make a post with the rest of the pieces that were in with this one once I can get a decent photo. There isn't that many and they look like broken pieces to me but there may be something I'm over looking.

Thanks again!
Angel
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom