Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found in a farm field that had a house in the 2nd half of the 19th century. Made of brass, little scrolls cast into the head. May possibly have been a middle piece broken off of that end. The threaded part is solid... not hollow. There is a ring at the end of the threaded part.

I've never seen anything like this before.

FoxOOsu.jpg gWbhl9s.jpg

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting find! Looks like the top was a figure of a person, maybe someone praying?
dts

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting find! Looks like the top was a figure of a person, maybe someone praying?
dts

No telling what was on top, if anything. It does look like something may have been broken off there. The bits that are left are just scroll-like decorations, I think, but I do see what you're saying... they also could be a pair of arms, with the hands up near the face.

It is interesting, isn't it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be a filler hole plug for an oiler/lubricator. Going by the threads it is very early.

Do the threads appear to be on a taper? I'm really not sure, but it kind of looks like that.

Would surely not be any sort of drain plug, at any rate. It would take forever to drain anything from such a small hole.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread