tips for hunting highly mineralized soil

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent some time hunting my cottage and surrounding property yesterday. Our family purchased the land in 1902 for logging operations. The sight where our cottage sits is where the lumber camp was and then the original cottage. Its a beautiful property nestled on a 80 acre lake. Lots of places to hunt as the tract was basically one side of the lake. Through the years the property was sold off and only 4 cottages on the lake are still in family. However, these are the oldest and most prime locations.

Long story short... The soil balanced out at 94 on my AT Pro. Not sure if this is really high but its the highest I've seen. Had lots of trouble getting clean hits. I tried both the stock coil and the 5x8 which was definitely better. Dug a lot of deep iffy signals but couldn't find a single coin until I got in the water. By some stroke of luck I pulled my first silver coin, 45 mercury dime, out of 8" of muck in 3 ft of water by bare hand. Definitely need a scoop as I found out quickly.

So, any tips for getting ultimate performance in mineralized soil? I was running pro zero two bars below max sens.
Thanks for any help!

Upvote 0

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I live, my AT Pro commonly ground balances around 92-93. I've come to learn that I have the best success with iffy signals by completely circling them numerous times with iron audio on. This usually gives me the info I need when deciding to dig. If you get a clean signal in more than one direction, dig it. Just yesterday I had a target showing 6-8 inches and reading in the 80's on the vdi in two directions. Any other direction was lots of iron in the 30's. Turned out to be a silver ring amongst a couple nails. I was running in pro zero and full sensitivity with iron audio at 35.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread