All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Immy

I'm in FLA, so I cant help you with many of your ?'s, but it will help if you tell what kind of machine you have, is it waterproof, are you hunting dry sand or in the surf?

I am a newbie, only been hunting about 6 weeks, but the majority of my hunts are at the beach, both dry sand and in the surf, as my machine is waterproof.

I love hunting the beaches myself, lot easier to dig LOL..............Good luck ;D

OP
OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a dinosaur White's CoinMaster 6500 (I think that's the model #, I'm at work and going from memory) and it still works like a charm.

I think I'll be mostly away from the water's edge though. The "better digging" is one of the allures of beach MD-ing.

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Immy said:
In early December I'll be in San Diego for a few days and would like some advice on hunting the beaches there. What should I know, expect, etc. What's the weather like? Are some areas better to search than others? I've also never hunted beaches before. Thanks for any advice!

Immy,

I flew into San Diego last December and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express just south of Sea World. I was in San Diego for training M through F and just had about 45 minutes at noon and about an hour or two after class to detect.

Had my excalibur 800 and hunted the Mission Beach area. Mission Beach is west of Sea World. From Mission Beach to the north, there are miles and miles of beach access areas. I hit several of the beaches, finding post 64 clad, no rings, no gold coins, no silver. I'm sure the good targets are there to be found! :o

Good Luck! 8)

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
Ric said:
Had my excalibur 800 and hunted the Mission Beach area. Mission Beach is west of Sea World. From Mission Beach to the north, there are miles and miles of beach access areas. I hit several of the beaches, finding post 64 clad, no rings, no gold coins, no silver. I'm sure the good targets are there to be found! :o

Don't be so sure. I live in Sandy Eggo myself, have been hitting the beaches from Ocean Beach to La Jolla 2-3 times a week for a few hours at a time. I'm getting great....exercise. But not much more. In four months, I've found three rings and around $20 in clad. Two days ago I found my first wheatie. The beaches here seem to be over hunted. But I don't let that stop me, don't let it stop you.

You can MD on any city beaches without hassle. I've had lifeguards and city cops joke with me while I was hunting. But avoid the state beaches north of La Jolla -- they are part of the state park system, and no MDing is allowed.

Weather can be a bit on the cool side, especially if you are used to desert heat. And there can be some spray in the air in December. I suggest dressing in layers -- t-shirt under a flannel, and a light jacket.

As to better locations? Hey, I've been at it for months now, and wish I knew the answer to that. I would avoid Ocean Beach, though, if you have a thing against hippies. It's our equivalent of Haight-Ashbury. And Pacific Beach/Mission Beach is party central, especially on weekends. La Jolla Shores is more family oriented.

You can detect in some of the local parks, but (as everywhere) some authority types may take exception depending on where you're at. Oh, and avoid the Balboa Park trails if you go alone -- unless you like drug addicts, homeless people, and just plain weirdos.

HH!

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Immy,

Although I never made it there but wanted to, Black's Beach just north of San Diego is a clothing optional beach :o

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
Ric said:
Immy,

Although I never made it there but wanted to, Black's Beach just north of San Diego is a clothing optional beach :o

But rather difficult to get to. There is a safe access road, but you have to know how to find it. (Hint: "Black's Farms" in La Jolla) There is a "goat path" down from Torrey Pines Gliderport, but it is dangerous -- and many false trails have lead to emergency rescues. The safest way is to hike north along the beach from La Jolla Shores at low tide, or south from Torrey Pines State Beach (any time of day is okay.) But be prepared for a lot of naked fat men thinking they're sexy.

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Captain Trips said:
Ric said:
Immy,

But rather difficult to get to. There is a safe access road, but you have to know how to find it. (Hint: "Black's Farms" in La Jolla) There is a "goat path" down from Torrey Pines Gliderport, but it is dangerous -- and many false trails have lead to emergency rescues. The safest way is to hike north along the beach from La Jolla Shores at low tide, or south from Torrey Pines State Beach (any time of day is okay.) But be prepared for a lot of naked fat men thinking they're sexy.

Hey, if a day on the beach detectin ment swingin me coil around naked fat men, COUNT ME IN!
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
IMMY the beaches here in San Diego are over hunted. I am not saying you wont find anything just that your finds will be slow and mostly clad. The tourist season is pretty much over so the beaches are not being replenished as fast as they are in the summer. The beaches here are used year round but when the tourist are not here less people and fewer losses. Mission beach is probably best area to go. The board walk is there and you have Pacific beach to the north and south mission beach to the south. Ocean beach is ok during the day but would not go at night. Balboa park is ok to hunt but is also hunted hard by the locals. Someone hear mentioned Blacks Beach. It is hard to access, has been hunted and at high tide in winter most of the beach is underwater. Also the cliffs are unstable and have collapsed several times over the years and a several people have been injured or killed there. Anyway good luck and hope you enjoy your visit here to wonderful San Diego. HH Ted

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
thadious said:
IMMY the beaches here in San Diego are over hunted. I am not saying you wont find anything just that your finds will be slow and mostly clad. The tourist season is pretty much over so the beaches are not being replenished as fast as they are in the summer. The beaches here are used year round but when the tourist are not here less people and fewer losses. Mission beach is probably best area to go. The board walk is there and you have Pacific beach to the north and south mission beach to the south. Ocean beach is ok during the day but would not go at night. Balboa park is ok to hunt but is also hunted hard by the locals. Someone hear mentioned Blacks Beach. It is hard to access, has been hunted and at high tide in winter most of the beach is underwater. Also the cliffs are unstable and have collapsed several times over the years and a several people have been injured or killed there. Anyway good luck and hope you enjoy your visit here to wonderful San Diego. HH Ted

I agree that it seems over-hunted. Even during the summer I found very little. I do have to disagree with OB at night, though -- you just have to fit in. As I am an aging hippie, I do. I was there just last night, going between the lifeguard tower and the pier. Found lots of stuff -- bottle caps, pull tabs, foil juice containers, etc. But as to valuables? Only found three clad pennies. (Seems that hippies just don't have that much to actually lose!)

Now, Balboa Park is somewhere I would avoid at night -- gangs, druggies, and hate-crimers. All looking for some "quick fun." (You'll note I seperate the hippies from the druggies. Although some might not agree, I know from experience that the two are not the same. There are sober hippies, and there are a LOT of non-hippie druggies!)

I'm not moving out of Sandy Eggo, but I've got to find some new places to hunt around here!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having grown up at that time, I hope no one minds my saying there is a big difference between a hippie and a druggie. Having to go into the military 1 year out of high school in 67, (draft induced) when I got out I took the road a 180 degrees the other direction. I lived both sides, GI and hippie.

Surfmaster

Jun 10, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur 1000 & 800, Sovereign Elite & GT
The state beaches north of La Jolla are not off-limits to MDing. Who the hell told you that?? I hunt them all the time. Right in plain view of lifeguards and rangers, never been hassled, ever. I hunt San Diego beaches all the time and I find plenty of great stuff. Maybe its the methods one uses that need improvement rather than a case of
overhunting. I hear that all the time. Yet I seem to do just fine.In fact better than fine.

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
Surfmaster said:
The state beaches north of La Jolla are not off-limits to MDing. Who the hell told you that?? I hunt them all the time. Right in plain view of lifeguards and rangers, never been hassled, ever. I hunt San Diego beaches all the time and I find plenty of great stuff. Maybe its the methods one uses that need improvement rather than a case of
overhunting. I hear that all the time. Yet I seem to do just fine.In fact better than fine.

Great news! Thanks! As to who told me, it was a ranger from Torrey Pines. I specifically asked him about the state beach, he said, "Nope, nowhere in the state park - trails or beach."

BTW, which beaches do you find are most productive?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread