cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mention on your very first post on this thread that people will probably condemn you for you decisions regarding this incident, and now you're offended when someone just comments on it? I didn't tell you that I thought you were wrong, I just offered my opinion on the subject and an alternative that might work out better in the long run.....for everyone, not, just the individual. As with your posts, mine is just an opinion, and might not be shared by others. IMO, not caring about others is one of our main problems with society today. Will others agree with that? Some will, others won't. That's the point of having a forum like this to get other points of view.....not just a bunch of "yes" men or backslappers. I was't attempting to change your mind or offend you in any way, so, if I did, I apologize, but, it might give some food for thought to others that find themselves in a similar situation. :occasion14:

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You mention on your very first post on this thread that people will probably condemn you for you decisions regarding this incident, and now you're offended when someone just comments on it? I didn't tell you that I thought you were wrong, I just offered my opinion on the subject and an alternative that might work out better in the long run.....for everyone, not, just the individual. As with your posts, mine is just an opinion, and might not be shared by others. IMO, not caring about others is one of our main problems with society today. Will others agree with that? Some will, others won't. That's the point of having a forum like this to get other points of view.....not just a bunch of "yes" men or backslappers. I was't attempting to change your mind or offend you in any way, so, if I did, I apologize, but, it might give some food for thought to others that find themselves in a similar situation. :occasion14:

Nobody here is offended. I just checked!! My cat and I are happy. Just a bit frustrated because my neck hurts too much for me to want to put my scuba gear on. If I came across as offended or attacking I apologize also. I was just trying to state my point of view.

As has happened before and I had to PM a moderator. Sometimes what we say and what we mean in type is taken totally the wrong way. Nobody can see our body language, our demeanor or understand the tone of our voice while reading online.

Just remember. The beatings will continue till moral improves!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
scuba, glad you are taking counter-opinion comments with a stiff upper chin. If our views never got challenged , then none of us would ever learn anything. So glad you're not being offended when someone comes on with a view that you should/could have done things differently.

Yes it's true that's being defiant & standing ones ground (instead of giving lip service ) can result in someone starting to "keep an eye out for future md'rs" . Ie.: it BECOMING a contention that it never was in the past, SIMPLY because someone was obstinate (even though technically right). But on the other hand, there comes a point where it's pretty hard to just roll over and play dead at over-zealous whimsical capricious bossy cops.

We all enjoy your posts, so don't take critical input wrong.

All the pro & con over this reminds me of one thing: It's things like this (when it comes to land detecting) which is the reason why 90% of my hunting is done at night now ! So peaceful. So serene :)

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yep, used to love detecting at night. Even water detecting. One problem is this island is off limits at night. Nowhere to park.

I only get frustrated with mods that give vacations without letting you explain anything. I let all else slide by. I let the mods handle anything that might be out of line. So far this has been a very good site to share and help others. Lots of crazy things out there to find and enough for everyone to share. Except for the folks in Michigan. They need to retire their water machines. Nothing left here.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody here is offended. I just checked!! My cat and I are happy. Just a bit frustrated because my neck hurts too much for me to want to put my scuba gear on. If I came across as offended or attacking I apologize also. I was just trying to state my point of view.

As has happened before and I had to PM a moderator. Sometimes what we say and what we mean in type is taken totally the wrong way. Nobody can see our body language, our demeanor or understand the tone of our voice while reading online.

Just remember. The beatings will continue till moral improves!
Funny you should mention that last line. I had that saying posted at my business in my office for over 35 years! :laughing7:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Sometimes opinions are best not shared but kept to oneself. (Oh my gosh, I think that was an opinion. ) lol

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Because it's all about you isn't it...and that is my opinion.

No Greg, it is all about the laws and being shoved around by the police and others that don't care about the law.

Clad 2 meet u

May 7, 2007
Algonac Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro (land) CZ20 (water)
From what you have posted, you should have just left when asked to. Now your gonna be out a few bucks and a few friends because of it. Not here to bash you, in fact a feel badly that it ended up the way it has. Happy trails...

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
From what you have posted, you should have just left when asked to. Now your gonna be out a few bucks and a few friends because of it. Not here to bash you, in fact a feel badly that it ended up the way it has. Happy trails...

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

As you said. We all have opinions. You have absolutely no idea if I will be out a few bucks. Friends? I didn't have real friends to begin with. Real friends accept you for your mistakes and accept you for who you are. Lets not go there.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
My best friend craps on the floor sometimes and I'm suppose to pick it up.

Clad 2 meet u

May 7, 2007
Algonac Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro (land) CZ20 (water)
Let me try and explain it to you in a nutshell.

At least 10 fellow metal detectorists know of a spot that is no longer used as a beach, said beach is old and forgotten. These guys enjoyed finding the occasional coin or jewelry for quite some time. In steps you, posting pictures of your finds (which is fine) but you had to include the exact location for the whole world to see which wasn’t necessary. If you would have just kept the area between the guys who knew about it there wouldn’t have been a problem.

Next up, you anger the police so much so that they issue you two citations. Now you have β€œblown” the area up for all of the guys who use to hunt there by your indiscretions. Now you say you didn’t really have any friends because true friends would forgive you for your mistakes. Really???

What was the real kicker in your whole story posted here is if you were to get a ticket, it wouldn’t matter because you already have pulled over 4k worth of gold from the area, what is a 500 dollar fine. That to me says; it’s all about Robert and too heck with the rest. Sorry Robert but it’s hard to forgive when it’s quite obvious you never cared about your fellow detectorist in the first place.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... it is all about the laws and being shoved around by the police and others.....

S.D.: Two Things:

1) Some laws are written vaguely, so-as-to apply to a myriad of things that might arise in the field. Eg.: laws that forbid "annoyances". Or laws against "vagrancy". Or "blocking sidewalks", etc...... And while it MIGHT seem arbitrary and capricious for some cop to "decide" you're "annoying" someone else, or "vagrant and blocking sidewalks" (when you were only sitting down to tie your shoelaces), yet ... : It has to be that way. Because it's impossible to write laws for every single thing that might happen in-the-field.

Thus for example we turf hunters sometimes get accused of the vague law about "altering" or "defacing". And we can argue semantics and dispute them if we want (saying we'll leave no trace, hence we aren't breaking that law). But the bottom line is, that as unfair as it might seem, a cop DOES have the leeway to interpret them . Because if cops DIDN'T have the ability to employ these "vague" laws to apply to various situations, then society would fall apart. People would FOREVER be arguing semantics with cops all the time.

So if you are truly "annoying" someone in public (following them around shouting obscenities, or whatever), you could merely argue with cops that A) your words weren't *technically* cussing, and B) you were keeping XX ft. distance from the person, etc.....

Thus while it seems arbitrary and unfair, yet there HAS to be a certain amount of authority/power vested in a cop to apply laws, LEST HE COULD NEVER GET his job done.

Yes I realize you're going to say that *your* particular situation was "beyond the pale" and unreasonable. But just bear in mind, that So-Too does everyone , who is told to leave an area, etc.... will always feel singled out, etc.....

2) No one here (Clad 2 meet you, me, etc...) is necessarily saying "you were wrong". So please don't interpret these things that way. Perhaps you will prevail legally, and yes, perhaps your permission will be deemed to have allowed you there. Hence the cop *should* have let you continue. THAT part might not be in dispute. So don't think that anyone here is saying you were wrong about that part.

It's only the part about giving a bit more lip-service (yes, even when you're "in the right") to a cop .

Yes I realize there comes a point when a man is NOT under an obligation to "bend over and spread his cheeks" at the arbitrary demands of a cop. Thus yes, we're not under an obligation to "follow every *single* command". And yes, sometimes lip service isn't needed for extremely capricious illegal demands. But we're just saying that in this particular case, putting yourself in that cop's shoes, he ..... at the time .... perhaps didn't know of your permission. Hence the "lip service" (a smile, exit, explain your permission, etc...).

And let's just assume for the moment that this didn't work, and the cop continued to berate you, not accept your permission, etc..... You can still "have your justice" (as unpleasant at the wait may be) at a later time, by complaining to his superiors. As I gave an example of in post # 23.

Last edited:

Ice Scratcher

Jul 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold rings?? What are they? I have a secret collection of something else I am finding that I have been very excited about and have been keeping it quiet. If I showed these to everyone, people would be flocking to my secret diving places. You have seen it here first. Please keep it on the low down.

What a collection of these?

IMG_20160108_164929_zpsnvolj9aj.jpg

That's not even half of them, some I gave to the museum curator who was extremely happy with, last year...

Why should anyone keep it on the low down, that's what you said you would do when I shared that place with you... Then after getting booted from to other MD forums, you came over here and starting sharing Google maps of the place.. By the way "low down" is one thing, and "down low" is another.. Clearly you only understand the one version...

I'm just glad I got what I did before you screwed it all up!

My last cool victory from there just happened..

Vaughan Garrett?s August 2016 Winners

It really is too bad you had to destroy a hunting spot for at least 14 other hunters that I know of all because of you..

Then you tell all these sob stories.. How you get relief from the water from your injury, and still receive subsidy payments for it...

I've got plenty of things wrong with my life, but I don't share any of it.. Last thing I want it a sissy pity party or anyone's sympathy...

This was taken last year late june just gold, and not even half of what I've found there.. Not to mention what the other hunters have been finding and now have lost any future possibilities there!

IMG_20150630_131731_zps8f7cbfn6.jpg

Just posted as a reminder as to why I'm pissed, and everyone else local to you...

<Β°)))>{

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Oh well. Nothing is destroyed. Greg and Jim. SHOW ME THE LAW TAT SAYS YOU CAN'T WADE THERE. There isn't one PERIOD. Stop trying to blame me for something that isn't illegal. Jim, You left because you didn't want to stand up for yourself. A cop can't give you a ticket for a law not on the books.

I didn't ruin it for any of you. I am the only diver that goes there. This cop was out of line and a control freak. I intend to prove it. If I lose I lose. BUT it has absolutely nothing to do with you waders. So be pissed at me for ruining it for myself maybe. Unless they draft another law for you folks then you can be pissed at me. until then stop complaining about what I did and go back out there and enjoy it. But as it stands NOTHING is stopping any of you from going back and wading. You are not swimming or bathing or diving. So get over it.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Storm is brewing.. :coffee2:

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Storm is brewing.. :coffee2:

Nope, Not going to let it get to me. I will not let myself get worked up over people that want to blame me for anything. We don't need the mods to come crashing down on us.

I stated the facts. Some are for me and some against. That is the way it always is in life.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tick, tock, tick, tock... lock. :laughing7:

Last edited:

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FRom what I am reading here, someone shared a detecting spot with you and asked you not to share it with others. You in turn DID infact share it with others and then created a "situation" where you were asked to leave and brought attention to others who were there before you and possible lost that spot for them.
The saying "choose your battles wisely" probably could have prevented this whole situation.
And for the record, I was involved in a shouting match with a local cop recently who came on my property investigating gunshots in the area (actually kids with fireworks). When he arrived in my neighborhood At first I was respectful when approached. The cop on the otherhand was loud, demanding and trying to be intimidating. When he asked my name I politely declined to provide the information. That is where the cop got real angry. At that point I told him in the same tone and volume he was using, to get off my property and to do it right now! Him informed me that he was not going to do this so I pulled out my cell phone giving a recap of the situation all the while filming the officer. I then told him I wanted a supervising office present immediately. He then calmed down quickly and left my property.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread