Tis the season for Colonial Water Silver!! Cob, LG and something even better!!!!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the weather outside was delightful...OK will save you from the rest.

The temps warmed up a good bit yesterday and that combined with ideal conditions (except the water temp) meant that my wet suit was calling and I answered. I managed to get back to one of my colonial watering holes for a couple of hours for a quick hunt and boy am I glad that I did.

I was hoping to start the year off with a colonial silver and when I heard the first possible tone, I was pumped, what came out next was unexpected. A beautiful silver ring was looking back at me through the muck and it was not a beach ring! (apologies to the beach hunters, all in fun). I typically do not get excited about jewelry, but this bad boy is old and hand engraved. There are no markings in it, but the engravings are a thing of beauty. This site dates from the 1650s and while it is certainly not that old (I don't think) it is still colonial to early expansion (1750s-1820s) by the looks and design.

After a few minutes, I got my composure back and started moving again (was sooooo cold at this point) and I began to think that this might be my only silver for the day. A couple of 1600-1700s musket balls popped up and then a civil war three ringer and then finally a nice solid high tone. I knew it was not going to be a cut coin as it read to high and to my surprise a nice thick 1 reale cob (no date) popped up! #1 for the season yeeeehaw! A few feet later I got another similar tone, though a little bigger. I immediately began to think of a repeat as has happened to me at this and other sites so many times. While it was not a cob, another nice 1800's Large Cent popped up #1 copper for the season! While walking across a small point, I eyeballed a nice little native american point and then immediately dug a nice complete 1600s buckle!

This short trip was beginning to really pay off (and I was even colder at this point as my legs started to shake with the wind blowing 20 mph). To close the day out, I had one more big high tone and this one was deep in the muck. I half expected it to be junk, until I hit the clay layer and knew it would be something decent. Out surfaced from the deep a trifid utensil minus the dish (spoon). I searched a little longer for the dish to no avail.

My take for the day includes the ring, two coins, buckle, nice marked lead bale seal, 9 musket balls and 3 civil war 3-ringers (along with a pile of smaller lead shot) 5 buttons and a weird rock (not iron) that I am wondering if is native american related.

All in all it was a good trip and while the coins met my goals, I was really excited with the ring.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 211
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    787.1 KB · Views: 250
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    381.9 KB · Views: 266
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    385.7 KB · Views: 271
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    391.3 KB · Views: 244
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    390.5 KB · Views: 231
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    429.9 KB · Views: 233
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    466 KB · Views: 236
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    488.9 KB · Views: 234
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    410.9 KB · Views: 221
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    414.5 KB · Views: 221
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    968.9 KB · Views: 225
  • 1m.JPG
    1m.JPG
    545.7 KB · Views: 238
  • 1n.JPG
    1n.JPG
    584.1 KB · Views: 221
  • 1o.JPG
    1o.JPG
    547.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 1p.JPG
    1p.JPG
    552.4 KB · Views: 225
Upvote 40

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt Dan. Ever see someone post something that you just cant stop looking at?!.... Well your ring is just that to me. :laughing7: I don't get excited over jewelry often (ever), but that ring is just fantastic man. Hand etched stuff like that is some of my favorites. Hope to hear more about it, but it has that "old look" to me.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice stuff

That ring is really a nice old find

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Dan. Ever see someone post something that you just cant stop looking at?!.... Well your ring is just that to me. :laughing7: I don't get excited over jewelry often (ever), but that ring is just fantastic man. Hand etched stuff like that is some of my favorites. Hope to hear more about it, but it has that "old look" to me.

Thanks man...I like it! I love center piece items like that...and it will fit in well with the other solid finds made from this site.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
That ring is a really nice piece Dan. Definitely looks early to me. Congrats on the cob as well. Any day with 2 early silver is a special day. Nice work.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ring is a really nice piece Dan. Definitely looks early to me. Congrats on the cob as well. Any day with 2 early silver is a special day. Nice work.
Thanks Evan...I would have been thrilled with just the ring. These things simply do not turn up that often.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not big on jewelry but I'm loving that old ring man. And of course any day with a con is killer

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dont see much early hand engraved pieces on here. Congrats. You seem to be the cob king too

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dont see much early hand engraved pieces on here. Congrats. You seem to be the cob king too

I only know of one guy that's dug more cobs than Dan, and it ain't me :crybaby2:.

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
That ring is an amazing find....definitely an oldie...my only cob has a very similar shape as yours..someone posted a link as to how the cobs got their shapes....I love the buckle too..that trifid handle is nice...I usually dig them a lot shorter...your was so close to complete...Congrats

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad the frigid water temps didn't deter you Dan, excellent collection of relics. The colonial ring is certainly a unique dig, and the cob is just the icing.

Thanks man, I could not pass it up. Temps will be in the 30s/40s the rest of the week, so will be sidelined again for a while...back to land I suppose

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quantity! Quality! Impressive range of finds. The hand-engraved ring is a great recovery. Colonial-period silver and gold jewelry is in a class of its own. Looking forward to your next post. :notworthy:

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quantity! Quality! Impressive range of finds. The hand-engraved ring is a great recovery. Colonial-period silver and gold jewelry is in a class of its own. Looking forward to your next post. :notworthy:

Thanks man. I agree, colonial or even older silver engraved rings do not surface that often.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread