Tis the season for Colonial Water Silver!! Cob, LG and something even better!!!!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the weather outside was delightful...OK will save you from the rest.

The temps warmed up a good bit yesterday and that combined with ideal conditions (except the water temp) meant that my wet suit was calling and I answered. I managed to get back to one of my colonial watering holes for a couple of hours for a quick hunt and boy am I glad that I did.

I was hoping to start the year off with a colonial silver and when I heard the first possible tone, I was pumped, what came out next was unexpected. A beautiful silver ring was looking back at me through the muck and it was not a beach ring! (apologies to the beach hunters, all in fun). I typically do not get excited about jewelry, but this bad boy is old and hand engraved. There are no markings in it, but the engravings are a thing of beauty. This site dates from the 1650s and while it is certainly not that old (I don't think) it is still colonial to early expansion (1750s-1820s) by the looks and design.

After a few minutes, I got my composure back and started moving again (was sooooo cold at this point) and I began to think that this might be my only silver for the day. A couple of 1600-1700s musket balls popped up and then a civil war three ringer and then finally a nice solid high tone. I knew it was not going to be a cut coin as it read to high and to my surprise a nice thick 1 reale cob (no date) popped up! #1 for the season yeeeehaw! A few feet later I got another similar tone, though a little bigger. I immediately began to think of a repeat as has happened to me at this and other sites so many times. While it was not a cob, another nice 1800's Large Cent popped up #1 copper for the season! While walking across a small point, I eyeballed a nice little native american point and then immediately dug a nice complete 1600s buckle!

This short trip was beginning to really pay off (and I was even colder at this point as my legs started to shake with the wind blowing 20 mph). To close the day out, I had one more big high tone and this one was deep in the muck. I half expected it to be junk, until I hit the clay layer and knew it would be something decent. Out surfaced from the deep a trifid utensil minus the dish (spoon). I searched a little longer for the dish to no avail.

My take for the day includes the ring, two coins, buckle, nice marked lead bale seal, 9 musket balls and 3 civil war 3-ringers (along with a pile of smaller lead shot) 5 buttons and a weird rock (not iron) that I am wondering if is native american related.

All in all it was a good trip and while the coins met my goals, I was really excited with the ring.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 211
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    787.1 KB · Views: 250
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    381.9 KB · Views: 266
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    385.7 KB · Views: 271
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    391.3 KB · Views: 244
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    390.5 KB · Views: 231
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    429.9 KB · Views: 233
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    466 KB · Views: 236
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    488.9 KB · Views: 234
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    410.9 KB · Views: 221
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    414.5 KB · Views: 221
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    968.9 KB · Views: 225
  • 1m.JPG
    1m.JPG
    545.7 KB · Views: 238
  • 1n.JPG
    1n.JPG
    584.1 KB · Views: 221
  • 1o.JPG
    1o.JPG
    547.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 1p.JPG
    1p.JPG
    552.4 KB · Views: 225
Upvote 40

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats Dan. Very nice finds. Jewelry and coins, very well done sir.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing colonial relics Dan! love that cob & ring.very old style etching on it.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a Ring guy either, but looks pretty early to me.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very nice digs. Hope some more beauties come from there.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome day of water hunting. I'm not sure that I would have braved the cold water temps but it looks like it was well work the effort. The colonial ring is definitely the find of the day. I'm curious - how do you guess so many good finds end up in the water? Are the creeks that you hunt mostly rocky base or mud base? Just wondering if the muddy base creeks in my area are work exploring - and risking the gators and water moccasins.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome day of water hunting. I'm not sure that I would have braved the cold water temps but it looks like it was well work the effort. The colonial ring is definitely the find of the day. I'm curious - how do you guess so many good finds end up in the water? Are the creeks that you hunt mostly rocky base or mud base? Just wondering if the muddy base creeks in my area are work exploring - and risking the gators and water moccasins.

There are a myriad of bottom conditions at most sites that I hunt from rock to muck. I'll be honest, I make it look easier than it really is. Through research and lots of recon I typically find good sites that produce. You guys never see the ones that don't pan out...because...well...they did not pan out ha ha.

In my eyes it is worth the risk of gators and snakes, but that is your choice not mine. I will say this, don't go alone until you really are comfortable and know what you are doing. All it takes it stepping in a bog hole and you are stuck to your waist and then the tide does the rest.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on an awesome hunt! I'm glad you braved the temp and it sure paid off! That ring is astounding and finding a cob is just a dream for me!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ring and Spanish cob are great finds....wtg.

Regards + HH

Bill

Last edited:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beautiful looking ring, and a nice mix of finds Dan. :thumbsup: It looks like your spot has a lot of potential.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like the ring is the favorite, hands down. That's a really interesting find and definitely has aroused my curiosity. Hope someone that knows about early jewelry can chime in. You might want to post it in the "What Is It" forum too. Great start to the season man!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet looking Silver ring and in Great condition!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
There are a myriad of bottom conditions at most sites that I hunt from rock to muck. I'll be honest, I make it look easier than it really is. Through research and lots of recon I typically find good sites that produce. You guys never see the ones that don't pan out...because...well...they did not pan out ha ha.

In my eyes it is worth the risk of gators and snakes, but that is your choice not mine. I will say this, don't go alone until you really are comfortable and know what you are doing. All it takes it stepping in a bog hole and you are stuck to your waist and then the tide does the rest.

Thanks for the response. I am sure it takes experience with different conditions to have success at water hunting. It's something that I have really been interested in getting into but I hardly have time to detect the dirt sites that I have access to. Maybe something that I explore in retirement - if that ever gets here.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ring is very interesting and one of my favorite water finds of yours that you have posted.
It's the unknown that keeps me out of the water. Deep mud, snakes, snapping turtles , brain-eating amoeba, sepsis......haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions