What's new

TN River park area, beach, not posted , can you use metal detector

MR_MASSEUSE

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2012
Messages
20
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
cobra beach magnet,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just curious, i have an underwater detector that i have gotton recent spent some cold days in the water on the edge of the river,, what about the beach area ,if its not posted,, can i get fined if i get up on the beach and search with my detector
 
If it is TVA owned property you have to have a permit through them(on website). If it is a Tennessee State Park facility it is illegal.
 
Heath j said:
If it is TVA owned property you have to have a permit through them(on website). If it is a Tennessee State Park facility it is illegal.




The Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) has just announced that they are withholding issuing detecting permits until further review. I fear what that means!

Please, everyone send (TVA) them a comment. Even if you never plan to hunt TVA property it could be an awful precedent! Also spread this to any detectorists you know. There is power in numbers, but only if we contact them!



Butch Holcombe, Publisher

American Digger Magazine
www.americandigger.com



TVA stopping giving permits for metal detecting.



Here is the link to send an email.

http://www.tva.com/environment/eic/

Something along the lines of:



Please reconsider issuing TVA permits for metal detecting at beaches and swimming areas. No harm is done. Responsible hobby diggers remove trash and often leave an area cleaner than they found it. The hobby is enjoyed by young and old and is a great family activity.

Thank you,



Use this or your own words. Include your name and email.

We are on a campaign to stop this action and get permits going again. Please share this email with fellow diggers.



Thanks!

Anita

Butch Holcombe, Publisher
American Digger Magazine
www.americandigger.com
 
I really hate to hear that TVA is reevaluating it's permit issuance.I've had one for several years and when I went on their website to renew mine in Dec,I did notice that there was no link shown.I just went ahead and sent a copy of my last permit and DL to the TVA police and asked them to forward the info.In all the years that I've had a permit, I have been checked one time.I do,however, see people detecting for relics in on TVA property on a regular basis possibly unaware of the consequence of their action or possibly just thinking they won't get caught!A few folks have been arrested with a pocketful of arrowheads locally,but I really think they(TVA) don't have enough officers to check for permits,much less patrol the many miles of shoreline they control,BUT if they do catch you (1) forfeit any detecting equipment in your possesion including any in your vehicle(2) forfeiture of vehicle(3)search and seizure of any relics in your home(4)a very hefty fine(5) possible jail time.So even if the odds look good,it ain't hardly worth the risk!
 
Thank you, for info,, i,ll look into the permit, and send an email
 
It's better to be safe than sorry. I prefer being on the right side of the law. Never hurts to make friends with the police, go walk around and find a cop, explain what you want to do and ask his/her advice on it. I've met many friendly police who have helped me out. Perhaps they know something about permits or detecting that you don't.

They will not kick you out for talking to them or keep an eye out for you.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom