TO ALL DIGGERS: THIS IS IMPORTANT HEALTH-WISE –> PLEASE READ!

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Less than 50% of people bitten by a tick carrying Lyme will end up with a Bull's Eye rash. The initial symptoms of Lyme are usually flu-like or a general feeling of malaise. A deer tick is about the size of a sesame seed. The nymph deer tick is about the size of a poppy seed and must have a blood meal in order to develop into an adult or it will die. They are found in/on trees, bushes, tall grasses, fallen leaves, tree/branch cuttings and especially where there is moisture.

The current ELISA test as mandated by the CDC misses 90%+ of Lyme infections as there are various types and they only test for a few. If you have it and are lucky enough that it actually does show up on the ELISA test, then you will be allowed to have a Western Blot test done which is more accurate. It still misses quite a few and doesn't test for all strains. The most common strain in the U.S. is Borellia burgdorferi but there are more and more are still being found. Lyme disease is never by itself as there are many co-infections with it such as babesia, ehrlichiosis, anaplasmosis and many others. Often these co-infections with Lyme require different medications and treatment modalities. Having Lyme diagnosed and treated immediately is your best hope for recovery! Imogex labs have the best and most accurate testing. Two to six weeks of Doxycycline 100mg. twice per day is recommended depending upon how fast you were diagnosed and only if you were diagnosed within the first 30 days. Please take this very seriously as Lyme Disease is extremely debilitating and can be fatal!

Last edited:

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you wake up and find a tick stuck to your belly, does that mean you have lyme disease?

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you wake up and find a tick stuck to your belly, does that mean you have lyme disease?

No it does not. If you live in Arizona, then the odds are that you probably do not also. There are not many cases of Lyme disease in Arizona. A lot of people who have or have had Lyme disease move to Arizona for that reason as it is mostly dry and arid which is not conducive for ticks as they require more moisture to thrive. However if you get a Bulls Eye rash in that area, start not feeling well or unusually tired and if you just want to be sure then have a test done. Hope this helps.

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Powassan Virus is even more dangerous than Lyme Disease. It is potentially fatal. Powassan virus differs in Lyme in that it can be transferred from a tick to a human in a matter of minutes. Unlike Lyme which is a bacteria, the Powassan is a virus so the options are much less to do anything about it. Two more cases reported in Maine have health officials on high alert as agencies across the nation brace for a particularly high-population tick season. So be careful out there and HH!

Powassan virus: Potentially fatal tick disease that can be transmitted in minutes reported in Maine | Fox News

Last edited:

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank Jesus. One time I was sleeping on a couch at my grandmothers when I was a kid and woke with a tick stuck to me, near my belly button. My grandmas poodle used to get them sometimes and I guess the spot I chose to sleep in was the dog's spot.

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh wonderful. Thanks, creskol. :(

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500 with EagleEye.
Primary Interest:
Other
Take this for what you will, and I don't mean to be pushy or give false hope with what I'm going to say.

If I were in a situation where a tick was involved, I'd be trying to boost my immune system to fight off any problems. The best way I've personally tested is through homemade kefir, made from full grains, not that powdered stuff you may find for sale online. Kefir comes in two forms: water, and milk. I've been drinking the water kefir for a few years now and I'll illustrate its effectiveness with a simple history of my allergies. Ever since I was a kid I've had horrible summer allergies, with ragweed being one of the worst offenders. This was a seasonal issue every single year with no exception. Then one spring I tried water kefir, I drank it every day and then summer arrived and nothing happened....no runny nose, no itching eyes, no sneezing, no need to take anti-histamines. I went for a walk one of those days and asked my mother casually what the plants we were walking through were. She replied that they were ragweed. I was walking through a field of ragweed and felt 100% fine.

Kefir is a live bacterial culture that benefits the immune system, I recommend it to everyone I can because I know it works. There are those who of course would discredit me, usually "scientists"(and I do use that term loosely)and say that my body just healed itself. To that I say; Harry Potter is for kids, that type of healing doesn't happen randomly and out of nowhere. It wasn't a placebo effect either as I didn't know anything about what I was drinking at the time, I was very skeptical.

Whether it helps people with Lyme disease is not for me to say, all I am saying is that it helps your immune system. You do however need to drink it every day just like water, otherwise the benefits fade.

Cheers,

Prime

Last edited:

jimhenry

Greenie
Sep 9, 2017
Honey Brook, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Pinpointer Pro AT, Master Hunter Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tick Protection

Before I moved from Delaware county to Chester county about 11 years ago, I was CRO of the Air Rifle Field Course at my gun club. My range consisted of 50 target lanes running through 500 yards of woods, and we had a major tick problem. After some research I concluded that bringing a couple dozen Guinea hens would help, that they would eat their weight in ticks every day, were very hardy, and could take care of themselves. Unfortunately that last part was untrue and predators took them all out within a couple months.Anyway our Field Target shoots were very popular, drawing the largest attendance of any regular FT shoots in the country and attracted shooters from all over. Among them were a father and son team from upstate New York who always came wearing white one-piece jump suits and white hats.Pull your socks over your pant legs and there is very little opportunity for ticks to get to your skin plus the white makes them very easy to see. Taking that idea from them I bought a white one piece jumpsuit and white hat, and treated all with Primithin, for detecting in the woods. So far, so good. Heck, put an American flag patch on the right shoulder and your club patch on the left shoulder, and folks might think your with the EPA and stay away from you!

ghJohn93Mn

Greenie
Sep 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First let me thank Barker for his part in bringing the topic of Lyme disease up, and I'd also like to thank the mods for making his post a sticky post. Hopefully every member reads it and is more cautious because of it.

My name is Mike. I became infected with Lyme disease in May of 2000 and have been fighting it since then. I still have issues because of Lyme disease, but am doing much better than I was. My purpose for writing this is to help people understand what it is like having Lyme disease.

I wrote a book about my experiences with Lyme disease. Don't worry, I'm not trying to sell anyone the book (it isn't in print anyway). If someone wishes to read that book, please send me a message with your email address and I'll send you the manuscript. It won't cost you a penny. I'm not going to pretend that the book is well written — I wrote it when I was very ill and now wish I had waited until I was more capable of doing a good job. The book is what it is though and it might help people understand what it is like having Lyme disease.

I don't get into all the medical aspects: I can't tell people what will work, or what won't work. I can say what has helped me and what seems to make things worse. Lyme disease does not affect everyone the same way; some people respond to certain treatments far better than others, just as some of those infected with Lyme disease suffer far more than others.

Prevention is the key; never go into areas that are prone to having ticks without protection (repellent, long pants, etc..).

If you are bitten by a tick, always seek medical treatment and insist that they do a test for Lyme disease. I would also demand that I was put on heavy doses of antibiotics for 3 weeks or so — and I'd go to a different doctor if the one I went to refused. Lyme disease tests are noted for being unreliable, but don't let that stop you from being tested. The most reliable test is a bit expensive — something around $100 — but that is money well spent if you can catch Lyme disease in its early stages.

I do not believe Lyme disease can be cured. Some will tell you otherwise, but most of them haven't had Lyme disease. The medical field seems to be split on that specific aspect of Lyme disease, just as it is divided with regards to all the aspects of Lyme disease.

I do believe Lyme disease can be controlled; especially if it is caught in the very early stages (when first infected).

If infected with Lyme disease, do your best to find a Lyme literate doctor. They are difficult to find and typically do not take insurance, but they're worth the cost and the effort.

Most of those infected with Lyme disease do not get the tell-tale bull's eye rash (around the bite area). Those who do get the tell-tale bull's eye rash — definitely have Lyme disease.

My Lyme literate doctor told me that there are 4 known variations of Lyme disease. I do not recall the specific names of those variations, but two are far and away the most common. My doctor claimed that 98% of Lyme infections are one of those two variations: both of which have symptoms that are relatively mild in retrospect but still no picnic.

Those symptoms involve severe flu-like symptoms for multiple days, joint pain (usually involving a major joint — such as a knee) swelling of the joints (usually a knee) horrible headaches and severe fatigue. Those symptoms can last for years — even long after medical experts have declared the patient to be cured of Lyme disease.

The other two, far less common, strains of Lyme disease are far more serious.

I was “lucky” and contracted one of those two (far more serious) variations of Lyme disease. The uncommon strains attack the host's central nervous system — spirochetes burrow their way into the brain, the eyes, all the organs, and they develop an immunity to the antibiotic used to kill them. As the spirochetes are killed, the patient becomes violently ill due to the spirochetes releasing toxins into the host (they burst when dying).

Everything is affected in a negative manner: your ability to think, your ability to see, your ability to walk, your ability to function. Your joints hurt constantly — so much so that it is really difficult to move. Your balance fails — making it seem like you're drunk or otherwise incapacitated. Your speech is slurred and you can't finish sentences because it is impossible to remember what you were talking about.

I've lost entire days — unable to remember a single thing that happened during the day. This isn't just a matter of not recalling something that happened last week — it's a matter of not recalling anything from the prior minute.

I've gotten lost in known areas right around my home. This happened frequently to me. I'd drive into town and get lost — and I've lived in this area for 24 years. I had no idea of where I was, or how to get home. I'd just continue driving, hoping that something would trigger a memory and I'd find my way home. Sometimes it would take minutes, and sometimes it took me hours of wondering around aimlessly.

I'd get stabbing, shooting, lightning strike, pains throughout my body (I still get them on occasion). The pain is incredible and it strikes anywhere at anytime — it could be my foot, my neck, my stomach, or even my — well, let's just say areas you don't want that kind of pain.

In the past I would have this weird sensation of things crawling just under my skin. It would happen all over my body and it was enough to drive one mad. Scratching did nothing to help, but I scratched myself to the point that I'd bleed all over.

I'd get muscle spasms so severe that they'd pull my vertebrae out of joint. I'd lay on a heating pad turned to high — enough so that I still have burn scars on my back — just to relieve some of the pain.

I was always fatigued. Severely so; simple tasks would require hours of rest just so I could function in a depleted state. There were many times when I couldn't walk 50 yards if it meant saving my own life — I just couldn't manage it.

I could go on and on about the results of having Lyme disease. I've barely scratched the surface when it comes to trying to describe what it is like living with Lyme disease — and I'm one of the more fortunate victims of this disease, I am much better than I was. There are many who suffered far more than I did, and many who are still suffering after having the disease for 20 years or more.

I took antibiotics for 16 full years — large doses of varying antibiotics, always changing to combat the ability of the spirochetes to develop immunity — and that too has had negative effects.

Lyme disease has all but ruined me financially. I've paid nearly all of my medical expenses out of my own pocket (insurance tends to not cover things and most Lyme literate doctors do not accept insurance). Still, I'm one of the lucky people who could get treatment; there are many who cannot and do not.

Lyme disease affects every aspect of my life. Be that physical, or mental, or economical, or emotional. And the latter may well be the most difficult.

It is tough enough losing one's physical abilities, but that really is to be expected just with aging alone. To a lesser degree the same can be said about mental abilities and finances, but I wasn't prepared for the emotional difficulties.

I can't do today what I could easily do 20 years ago. I think everyone who has reached my age can honestly say that. But the difference is that I can't do today, what I could've done today if I hadn't been infected with Lyme disease. It just isn't possible. In a sense, Lyme disease has aged me rapidly, and I've lost a good chunk of my life.

But it isn't just the loss of my abilities that I'm talking about. Lyme disease sort of slaps you with a cold, hard reality: you don't matter. That's a tough lesson to learn. At least it was for me. It's amazing how quickly people move on with their lives — leaving you to your own struggles just when you could really use some help.

That is an issue that just about every Lymie struggles with.

For now I am doing much better. It's been a tough battle but I'm doing OK and I'll fight Lyme disease until I draw my last breath. I expect it will win in the end, as lots of people die from this disease, but it won't win because I quit trying.

Hopefully those who read this far too long post will have a better understanding of what it is like living with Lyme disease. With any luck at all, my words will make you far more aware of the threat that Lyme disease presents without making you fear the outdoors.
Heartbreaking... I wouldn't wish it on the devil himself. Ditto the story above. It's basically mad cow disease. But I'm not dead just yet so maybe it's a blessing in disguise, in some sick twisted far off way. Stay strong, stay positive, fight the fight, and I'll see you in Eternity! #Life #Love #Laugh #Lyme #LivingHell #NoFear #Truth #GodBless

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Beachlover

Greenie
Nov 15, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wonderful info! I believe everyone can benefit from reading this. Prevention is worth far more than the cure. I really feel for you, that you didn’t have the support that you needed Especially at your most desperate moments. As a cancer survivor, I totally understand what you are talking about. It’s not limited to Lyme disease.
I am happy that you found Treasure Hunting as a hobby. Use this to keep focused on and not on your pain. Well try.. 🌞
All the best with your health and Treasure Hunting!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope I never get that thanks for the info though

Mr Cheech

Feb 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Last march I pulled a dog tick off my leg, a week later I was deathly sick. 5 towel soaking fever ALL night and unstoppable chills all day. Confirmed erlichiosis, the doxycycline stopped the symptoms right away, but I was on a large dose for a month.

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for this thread. I haven't given much thought to vector borne diseases until recent news about such diseases as Lyme, zika, and a few others. I am now acutely aware of keeping myself protected from insects that can bear diseases. I know there are folks who don't care for insect repellents containing DEET but I know it works and use it any time I am near the woods.

While I am beating this drum, let me add the admonition to use sun screen.

ghJohn93Mn

Greenie
Sep 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get bit by any type of tick, DEMAND to be treated with doxycyclene ASAP... Lymes Disease feels like a death sentence. And if it doesn't kill you, you will spend many days wishing it would. No joke.

On the bright side, it has made me strive to improve myself as a person. Because there is a cold hard reality I see when I look myself in the mirror...

LIFE IS SHORT! And tomorrow is not guaranteed to anyone. It took me losing my quality of life to learn the value of it... PRICELESS
So if you take anything from this thread, I hope you begin to live your life to the fullest and remind others to do the same. Don't take this life for granted. You'll regret it in the end.

But you guys probably live one day at a time already because you're TREASURE HUNTERS too, after all!
So good luck and happy hunting your next time out. May you dig your dream find, live like you were dying, and give the glory to God!

And if you have Lymes Disease like me, never give up hope. Miracles happen everyday... we just need to recognize them for what they are.
Stay strong-John F Screenshot_2018-04-30-14-46-04.jpeg 2018-05-09%2009.49.50.jpeg

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got two of a three shot sequence of Lymerix years ago before they took it off the market due to side effects, I never had an issue. I also heard, possibly conspiracy theory, that it was forced off the market by drug companies because it was effective and they couldn't make any money if it actually worked. Heard a few of the people who came forward with side effects were actually paid to do so. Hmmm... Interesting I can get my dog vaccinated with the same type of stuff though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread