TO ALL DIGGERS: THIS IS IMPORTANT HEALTH-WISE –> PLEASE READ!

Electricbutter

Jul 4, 2017
Turners Falls Ma
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great topic! Also remember TOXIC CATERPILLARS! I got into something nasty a while back that gave me a rash that spread all over my body kinda looked like poison ivy but burned and felt like a million ants were devouring me from the inside out. I remember seeing a white fluffy caterpillar while digging in the woods a few days before the rash showed up but I’m not certain that’s where it came from. Also I’ve learned how to identify poison ivy,sumac and oak when dormant because you can still get into some trouble digging into the roots of this plants.

The caterpillars prefer hickory trees, but they can also be found on oak, maple, ash and other shrub and trees.Unlike wasps or bees, caterpillars do not sting intentionally. However, the hairs, such as those in the hickory tussock moth caterpillar, are actually hollow tubes that contain poison. The venom is released on contact. Someone recommended removing the hairs with a lint roller or tape because brushing the hairs off will break them and spread the toxin over your skin.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1592570758.983036.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1592571352.104300.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1592571364.173340.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1592571373.732141.jpg

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been in a lot of areas, luckily been spared from ticks. Always take deep woods OFF.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn ticks... always trying to steal my rum from my blood.

albert2911

Jul 13, 2020
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have big problems at the moment with Ticks ! :-(
We had a mild winter and now we have really big problems with so many Ticks.
Can´t go metal detecting at the moment :-(

Albert
By the way ... here´s my new page ;-)

(Deleted by mod for rule violation)

Last edited by a moderator:

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Great post! Also, "trigger finger", I guess rather rare, but I got it on the thumb I use for the pinpoint button on my detector. I can't confirm it's because of that, as I use that thumb for everything from loading magazines to bush craft work a lot to as well as at my work, but the timing is rather interesting. I don't have any health issues that would cause it either, so, it's some repetative motion I was doing. Same thing with bottom of my foot with driving a stick, all checked out fine and started right after driving a stick truck.

Around this time last year, I went on 2 nights overnight bug out camping and got like 30 ticks! This with deep woods off and sleeping above ground! I survived, but man, it was insane! From what I was told, is that in Florida it's not too common of disease here, but more up North like N. Carolina and beyond etc.

ADHD_Outdoors

Mar 31, 2022
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I contracted Lyme in 2014 in a state that "didn't have Lyme". I did not have the bullseye rash, rather my entire leg broke out in a severe rash I initially chalked up to poison ivy and took a Z-Pack to get rid of. In February of 2015 I finally went to the doctor for naggin URI symptoms and what I thought was an enlarged prostate (turned out to be swollen glands from Lyme). The Dr didn't want to test for lyme but I insisted. CVame back positive and after 4 months of Doxy I was better. None of my panels have shown Lyme since 2016.

Make your Dr listen to you. Insist on the blood panel if you think you're positive. And mash every one of those parasites with a grin.

OhioMetalMaven

Nov 6, 2021
Western Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace Apex & Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Full article:

Visiting physician sheds new light on Lyme disease - Martha's Vineyard Times

“Sudden-onset dementia should really be a red flag for Lyme [disease], especially in people with compromised immune systems,” she said.

The conception that the tick has to be attached for 48 hours to inject the bacteria is completely outdated,” she said. “There are studies that show that an attachment of 15 minutes can give you anaplasmosis,10 minutes for the Powassan virus, and for the different strains of Borrelia burgdorferi, we have no idea.”

She also said the two-day course of doxycycline, often prescribed for people who find a tick embedded on their body, has little or no prophylactic value. “It should be 100 to 200 milligrams of doxycycline twice a day for 20 days, regardless of the time of engorgement,” she said. “It is not a two-day thing.”
Great info. Thanks for sharing this. People don’t take ticks seriously.

Jornweick

Tenderfoot
Apr 17, 2022
Full article:

“Sudden-onset dementia should really be a red flag for Lyme [disease], especially in people with compromised immune systems,” she said.

The conception that the tick has to be attached for 48 hours to inject the bacteria is completely outdated,” she said. “There are studies that show that an attachment of 15 minutes can give you anaplasmosis,10 minutes for the Powassan virus, and for the different strains of Borrelia burgdorferi, we have no idea.”

She also said the two-day course of doxycycline, often prescribed for people who find a tick embedded on their body, has little or no prophylactic value. “It should be 100 to 200 milligrams of doxycycline twice a day for 20 days, regardless of the time of engorgement,” she said. “It is not a two-day thing.”
You just made my day better with this post

V3iMadness

Dec 22, 2022
Bath, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both of my parents have Lyme disease. The other day I went out and cleaned up the yard, lots of leaves and sticks and getting rid of some junk sapling, etc. Worked for maybe 2 hours. I did not get any ticks on me. Mom is out for 10-20 minutes and gets a tick on her. Right behind her ear.
She is a magnet for them.

Attachments

• 20230103_074125.jpg
    20230103_074125.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 35

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Full article:

GREAT POSTING !! THANKS !!!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good lord....glad we don't see ticks to often here in the islands !! That was a tough thread to get through. Stay safe folks.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read in an Edgar Cayce report, some people have been cured of Lyme after using the "appliance" Cayce used in his healing.
Might check it out. Lyme is a very debilitating disease.

Boghog1

Apr 24, 2023
NH
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex
Past: Bounty Hunter Pioneer
Thanks for the reminder. just went and sprayed my digging clothes with Permetherin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread