To all wandering about VDI on gold coin.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can’t sleep wife to had a back surgery and I taken care of her to the best of my ability. She’s sleeping thank goodness and now I can’t sleep truly sleep one hour since weds at 8 am. But anyway you now how it is when you can’t sleep you experiment with VDI. Ok this hit at a solid 16 which I pass up 90% of the time the ol pulltab. Well maybe at a park or beach but I cut a man’s one acre lawn to to detect it tomorrow. 1810 property. Remember solid 16 I’m digging them all tomorrow. IMG_0012.JPG

Oh did I mention I’m delirious lol

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth, hope all goes well with your wife's recovery! If anyone can find a Gold coin, it's you! Wouldn't be surprised if you find more than one...

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hope your wife gets better soon. I had back surgery and i can suggest not rushing recovery.

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope all goes well for your wife and your detecting.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope your wife heals up soon and I am pulling for you to find that GOLD!!! :skullflag:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been there with the wife's back surgery.....Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Have fun on your hunt and I hope the misses heals up as quick as possible.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hope your wife recovers ok and fast. It is stressful when your spouse has illness or surgery. I went through that and had to manage lot of different meds and pain pills. It is a complex thing to deal with for the care taking spouse. I would get so upset with myself when I forgot to give some meds on time. Bless you and your wife.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth, hope all goes well with your wife's recovery! If anyone can find a Gold coin, it's you! Wouldn't be surprised if you find more than one...

Truth, wanted to show you how an E-TRAC reads a $1 Gold coin. 11(ferrous) and 11(conductive).

2018-08-24.png

Reads exactly the way a beavertail from an old pulltab reads. Bet I dug thirty beavertails and over one-hundred pulltabs this week. I look at it this way, the fact that I am at a location that is littered with pulltabs tells me that I'm in a good location because everyone else has discriminated these out.

Here's a target from two days ago that read 12-25, just like an old pulltab with a beavertail...

P8220379.JPG

OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, AT PRO, Fisher F44,F2, F5, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on which gold coin, as well as other targets like iron, foil, ground mineralization interfering with the gold coin....no absolutes in detecting...but in an air test :)

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would dig all numbers from 12 to 18. As stated before, ground conditions play a role in what signal is produced. Good luck on your hunt and bring one home!:occasion14:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
The almost pure gold coin you may find on a 1810 property wouldn't be the same diameter, nor the same content, as a new 1/10 ounce pure gold coin.

Look guys, the way to find a gold coin is it being sandwiched up with a large silver! lol (wouldn't that be nice!)

Good luck on the outing and HH ALL

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Gold, depending on shape, depth, alloy, size, and many other factors, can read all over the scale. Your 1/10 ozt gold coin reads 16 on the vdi. A gold ring will read differently, as pointed out by SD51. Many gold alloy chains will read as a “chatter”, similar to a bunch of iron bits on top of one another. A 6k chain, if very high in copper and silver, may read as high as 80 or 90, but still a broken signal.

In short, if you want to find gold, be it coins, rings, or chains, you will have to endure the monotonous task of digging everything.

Time for more coffee.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
yea ! i figured that one out years ago. thats why you never see the old geezers our there anymore. just too much work. sheesh it'll kill ya just tryin to find any gold with a metal detector these days. but as for myself i ask myself a million times over WHY,WHY and then WHY again do people pull the stupid pop tops off of cans.pull tabs were a given. you had to pull the stupid tab to get at the goods inside :tongue3:so we have WHY,WHY, and WHY again ? if somebody thinks they can entertain me with an answer be my guest. so i have to wonder what good does having a digital meter really do ? say you go over a gold piece with a ctx 3030 you get a read out. and then you go over it with an at pro will the read outs be exactly the same ? anybody that wants to volunteer and come over and dig all my low tones for me you're more than welcome to.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea ! i figured that one out years ago. thats why you never see the old geezers our there anymore. just too much work. sheesh it'll kill ya just tryin to find any gold with a metal detector these days. but as for myself i ask myself a million times over WHY,WHY and then WHY again do people pull the stupid pop tops off of cans.pull tabs were a given. you had to pull the stupid tab to get at the goods inside :tongue3:so we have WHY,WHY, and WHY again ? if somebody thinks they can entertain me with an answer be my guest. so i have to wonder what good does having a digital meter really do ? say you go over a gold piece with a ctx 3030 you get a read out. and then you go over it with an at pro will the read outs be exactly the same ? anybody that wants to volunteer and come over and dig all my low tones for me you're more than welcome to.

Why were fidget spinners a thing? People drink their drinks, talk with their buddies and fidget with the pull tab until it breaks off. It takes a few seconds and most do it without thinking about it, probably.

Some charitable organizations actually collect the things to be recycled at the aluminum scrap metal rate. There was a false rumor running around that collecting a gallon of these things would get someone an extra hour on a dialysis machine. Not true, but the rumor persists. So that encourages the practice even further.

Truth - hoping your wife recovers soon and successfully from her back surgery.

Also, when trying to get a reference VDI off a coin in a card mount, be mindful of the effect of the card mount staples on the signal, especially for small and/or mid-conductive coins like the gold piece or trimes.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Why were fidget spinners a thing? People drink their drinks, talk with their buddies and fidget with the pull tab until it breaks off. It takes a few seconds and most do it without thinking about it, probably.

Some charitable organizations actually collect the things to be recycled at the aluminum scrap metal rate. There was a false rumor running around that collecting a gallon of these things would get someone an extra hour on a dialysis machine. Not true, but the rumor persists. So that encourages the practice even further.

Truth - hoping your wife recovers soon and successfully from her back surgery.

Also, when trying to get a reference VDI off a coin in a card mount, be mindful of the effect of the card mount staples on the signal, especially for small and/or mid-conductive coins like the gold piece or trimes.

did'nt really think i should reveal this. but i concluded it was sexual frustration that people had to bust those stupid things off and throw them on the ground. for me and U to find. so now for the real TRUTH who finds and digs them and throws them back on the ground ?
i

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here you go, Truth...this may help. (Tests in Park 1 mode, with my EQ 800)

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Lol man I’m gonna go for it SD51. And that you so so much for wishing my Queen well [emoji1317]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread