What's new

Todays bag. A lesson on edge hunting.....

ramjet2187

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2005
Messages
926
Reaction score
141
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Today's bag. A lesson on edge hunting.....

Picked up my weekly bag of halves. I roll my dumps, as there are no customer use machines local. I try to roll as I go, but sometimes just want to go through them. Today was one of those days. I started pulling hand fulls, and in one got two PROOFS. It's not unusual to get a proof or two a bag, but two at once is a first for me. NEXT hand full netted an EF AU 41S Walker. She's a beaut. I finished checking the bag, and ended up with three more proofs. I also got a new Presidential dollar coin, five dimes, a nickel, and a zincoln. The usual scraps, I suppose. For you doubters, yes, you can pull proofs by edge checking. Even their edges look "proof-like." Thought I'd throw that out there, as I can already anticipate the nay-sayers.

Anyway, I get to rolling, and about $400 in, low and behold, there is a 62 Ben. Where did you come from? After all, I edge checked the whole bag, and pulled a few proofs along the way. The rim is as dirty as can be, that's why. I guess I'm not as good as I thought I was. ;D ;D :dontknow:

For all you skunk killers, have faith. It's out there. My average is about 1 or 2 40s a bag. Or a skunk. Today was a fluke for me. Two 90s, and 5 proofs. I'm happy. Good hunting to all.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Today's bag. A lesson on edge hunting.....

That is exactly the reason I incorporate the "sound check" after rim checking. The sound never lies.
 
Re: Today's bag. A lesson on edge hunting.....

I edge check dimes but date check my halves. Great finds!
 
Re: Today's bag. A lesson on edge hunting.....

Ok I am new at this. What do you mean by proofs. Do those have a "S" for the mint mark......Matt
 
I agree you can tell proofs via the edge

I still manually check every date . There are some that I would have missed both in edge and sound . The only halfs that fool me that look like proof and they are not is the 1984's . For some reason they made those halfs bigger and the edges are more defined like a proof.
 
Re: Today's bag. A lesson on edge hunting.....

Felixaaron said:
I edge check dimes but date check my halves. Great finds!

Same here! :thumbsup:
 
Re: Today's bag. A lesson on edge hunting.....

I edge check and sound check. Proofs are easy to spot with their wide clean edge. Yesterday I found 6 Ellis Island proofs in 1 box, all from edge searching.

Joad
 
Re: Today's bag. A lesson on edge hunting.....

awesome score!!! love to see that old silver and proofs! keep it up and hh!
 
Re: Today's bag. A lesson on edge hunting.....

I'm still getting one skunk after another. Six skunks in a row.

Glad you found silver!!!!!
 
Re: Today's bag. A lesson on edge hunting.....

As I stated before...I used to check every date, but it became too time consuming.

I edge check...

Sound and visual check from one hand to the other...

then sound check again as they go in the collection bag...


Even doing all three of these things takes less than 30 seconds per roll vs date searching. I guess it's all in the preference.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom