Today’s beach hunt

afxtwin

Nov 12, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Deteknix Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the beach today, gorgeous day! Picked up a 1962 quarter and a 1944 P nickel. About a week ago I found a 1942 S nickel at the same beach. IMG_4355.JPGIMG_4354.JPGIMG_4353.JPGIMG_4352.JPGIMG_4346.JPGIMG_4356.JPGIMG_4357.JPG

I used electrolysis to clean them. Still working out the kinks. They aren’t key dates so I don’t care if they are “ruined”. How do u guys clean the more valuable coins? Olive oil soak?

HH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 11
Congrats on your finds. I wouldn't clean any valuable coins or key dates. But it boils down to, they are yours, so what ever makes you happy.

Congrats on your finds. I wouldn't clean any valuable coins or key dates. But it boils down to, they are yours, so what ever makes you happy.

Yah I’m thinking that I want to display my lesser valuable finds completely clean. Anything worth money will def stay as original as possible.

As a beach hunter myself I tend to only clean the stuff I can't ID. I like the look of tarnished silver, it tells a story of what the coins been through. I used electrolysis on a 2 reales to get the date off of it and ruined the patina and wish I could take it back. That is the only method I have found that will clean my silver coins off the beach though

I have ruined a few coins using electrolysis but they were pretty toasted anyways. I think that in some cases you can leave a coin or token or whatever in there too long. So when I use it, I try to use it sparingly and then rinse very well, finished with a coat of olive oil

Congratualtions on the nice coins! :occasion14:

As for cleaning, IMHO; I would not clean any potential rare or key date coins, but since they are yours do what you feel is best. :icon_thumleft:

LOOKS LIKE WASHINGTON WAS SICK A NEEDED A ALKA SELTZER FOR HIS COLD .NICE FINDS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back