Todays finds (coinstar rejects)

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today's finds (coinstar rejects)

Since I'm still looking for a dump bank, I took my box of halves to a Coinstar (I got Amazon certificates and dodged the fee.) Somebody came up behind me with a big bag of change, so I took a break and let them go through. I offered to buy whatever rejects they had and he just gave them to me.

In addition to the expected filthy coins, buttons, coins stuck together with gum, watch batteries, foreign coins and tokens, there were a couple wheat cents and a bicentennial Ike! There were a couple bright and shiny 2011 pennies and dimes that it wouldn't take, don't know why. It also spit back a lot of my halves. I could eventually get it to take a few of them after several passes through the machine, but it ended up spitting out about 5% of the total.

No silver and nothing valuable, but I haven't seen an Ike "in the wild" in probably 20 years, so I call it a win. They are really monstrous huge coins, it's no mystery why they were never popular.

Attachments

• coinstar-rejects.jpg
    coinstar-rejects.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,785

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
Re: Today's finds (coinstar rejects)

nice finds! congrats! also, that nickels looks like its kind of a greenish color...war nickel? keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

OP
OP
captainfwiffo

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's a 1954. Nothing special, though I am hanging on to my pre-60s nickels for now.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The bimetallic euro coin is worth over $2

OP
OP
captainfwiffo

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Has anyone ever accumulated enough foreign coin to make it worthwhile to go have it exchanged? Is it tough to exchange a bunch of foreign currency at once? "Yes, I'd like to exchange for US dollars, $23.14 Canadian, 0.12 pesos, €1.54, £1.05 and this weird coin from Aruba that I can't read."

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT

captainfwiffo said:
Has anyone ever accumulated enough foreign coin to make it worthwhile to go have it exchanged? Is it tough to exchange a bunch of foreign currency at once? "Yes, I'd like to exchange for US dollars, $23.14 Canadian, 0.12 pesos, €1.54, £1.05 and this weird coin from Aruba that I can't read."

You accumulate enough Euros, Canadian, etc. and then sell it in one lot on Ebay or Craigslist and get pretty close to the exchange value. Banks don't exchange coin, only paper currency. And even then only some banks will do it.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DrDetector said:
captainfwiffo said:

You accumulate enough Euros, Canadian, etc. and then sell it in one lot on Ebay or Craigslist and get pretty close to the exchange value. Banks don't exchange coin, only paper currency. And even then only some banks will do it.

Some bigger airports have currency exchange counters but most of them do not want to deal in small coins. And they supposedly charge a pretty hefty fee to do it. I've never done it myself but researched it once when I thought I might be able to get my hands on some 100 Yen coins for fairly cheap. As usual, I found that if it were worth doing, other people would already be doing it. So I gave up the idea.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I check the coinstar machine in my store every morning,when I get there and I have found a coin(s) every morning this month,usually just a penny or two,but the other day I found almost $5 in quarters,dimes and nickles,all the coins were very dirty,but it's free money to me. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions