51.3 KB · Views: 1,289
Upvote 0
Looks like a coin weight :icon_thumleft:

shaun7 said:
Looks like a coin weight :icon_thumleft:

nice early one as well, need to look it up, but might be James I circa 1600 :o

That MXT Is the cats Mee oow :headbang:

wow, as I thought:

James I coin weight for a gold half angel of circa 1610.

The faint side is: St Michael killing dragon (BRI)
35 3/4grains or 2.32 grams, 12mm
V.s Crown above VI.D below,
Crowned I countermark

The buckle is early as well :icon_thumright:

I'd be too excited to sleep now :o

shaun7 said:

'Half angels were produced during the reign of James I from 1604 to 1619, although they are all extremely rare. In 1612 both these new half angels and all earlier issues of this denomination were revalued at five shillings and sixpence, up from five shillings.

The series of half-angels (or angelets) had lasted 149 years from their first issue by Henry VI in 1470, until production finally ceased during 1619'

http://www.ukcoinpics.co.uk/j1/5s/ql.jpg

Where is the coin :o :o :o

Gator-Flea said:
That's some nice fines!!

never had a nice fine, normally rip them up :wink: :D

Spooky said:
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:

'Half angels were produced during the reign of James I from 1604 to 1619, although they are all extremely rare. In 1612 both these new half angels and all earlier issues of this denomination were revalued at five shillings and sixpence, up from five shillings.

The series of half-angels (or angelets) had lasted 149 years from their first issue by Henry VI in 1470, until production finally ceased during 1619'

http://www.ukcoinpics.co.uk/j1/5s/ql.jpg

Where is the coin :o :o :o

I think the OP believes he has a coin....

:dontknow:

OP :dontknow:, broken knee, I thought was saying he would like the coin which this weight was used to weigh. So would I its Gold & Extremely Rare!

Spooky, i did think it was a clipped coin so it is a coin weight cir. 1610 ?

Broken knee said:
Spooky, i did think it was a clipped coin so it is a coin weight cir. 1610 ?

oh, I thought you were messing with us :D yes 1610 for a Ex. Rare Gold coin.

Forgot to say, some of the ones that turn up in the US are just thought to be taken as prize objects often years after they were any use. So don't assume it was really used for weighing gold coins from that period. However, it was still made in circa 1610.

Buckle - shoe or knee type - 1660-1720 :icon_thumright:

CRUSADER said:
wow, as I thought:

James I coin weight for a gold half angel of circa 1610.

The faint side is: St Michael killing dragon (BRI)
35 3/4gr, 12mm
V.s Crown above VI.D below,
Crowned I countermark

The buckle is early as well :icon_thumright:
CRU,the coin was 35 3/4 g yes? what % of the coin weight is this suppose to be and is it valuable?
Broken Knee

Great looking weight, and buckle. Congrat's on the super hunt. :icon_thumright:

Broken knee said:
Thanks everyone, So is this banner worthy ???
BK
Yes I would think so! :thumbsup: But the Banner can be a funny thing sometimes!To me for all I know it could had came off the mayflower back on November 9 1620 of the 101 colonist on board.
But heres the deal on what I say.Somethings just get over looked or not really thought about sometimes.Maybe change your title now to reflect what you have learned.But back to what I was getting at it's hard to understand what's rare for a place.What I'm saying is I can think of about 4-5 things just off the top of my head I've found that I'm purdy sure I could challenge anyone even if they had access to all of eastern north carolina to try and find another one of.And if they ever did I can bet you they would have a different look on it.I've not been in metal detecting all that long but I have growed up doing things similar from Indian stuff when young to bottles up to a few years ago.Now this is in my blood.So I have a feel for what can be found in this area.In short this is a big forum and alot of things are posted.It is easy to be over whelm with it all.I find my self doing it sometimes. But I try hard not to.I'll admit that I like the older things personaly but to me and my vote it don't have to be old.But the newer it becomes to me the more it has to be. :laughing7:
In closing I'd like to say you had a Very Nice hunt and a Really Neat Find! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back