What's new

Todays Halves... and others...

Ltrain

Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2010
Messages
309
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
So today, I picked up $2k in halves.

First 3 boxes, all skunks. Last box, 1 40% and 1 1986 Statue of Liberty Commem. Unfortunately, that wasn't silver or anything. The one bank is ordering me 4 boxes again for next Thursday, and I'm going to ask them to specify they want the "oldest boxes available" and we'll see how that works out.

At the other bank, I was told a manager wanted to talk to me... She was there with what I can only assume was the district manager, and yet they said nothing to me about my ordering... just kind of checked me out a bit. She was quite friendly, though, invited me into their vault to pick up my two boxes since neither her nor the teller wanted to carry them. Very strange...

Irked about the strikeout with halves, I dumped 'em and picked up two boxes of dimes... first was a skunk, second yielded 3 silver Roosies... and I'm now debating going out again and getting more, because I'm very, very bored. I just don't wanna drive, haha.

Next week, on Thursday, I will be road tripping out into the country with my lady to see if we can't find us a good score... Then I'll pick up the boxes on order when we get back. If I can't get older boxes (They gave me one stamped from '07 that was solid...) I will probably give up on boxes of halves, and just find a bank willing to order me lots of dimes.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Todays Halves...

Those Commemoratives are nice looking coins. I found a couple but they were clad as well.
Rich
 
Re: Todays Halves...

Rich Hartford said:
Those Commemoratives are nice looking coins. I found a couple but they were clad as well.
Rich
Yeah, it's a very attractive coin.

I went out and got some more change...

Box of Quarters, blanked.
2 boxes of dimes... 2 roosies in one, and then 3 roosies and a '43 Merc in the other.
Box of nickels... well, this was an awesome box of nickels by my standards...

2 silver nicks, 1 '31-S Buff (!!!!) and 3 1939-S Jeffersons. I keep the pre-1960 nickels, too, and I got nearly 4 rolls! Along with that was two rolls of stunning BU nickels dated '46-'48 and '56-'65. Most fun box of nickels I've done in quite a while.
 
Re: Todays Halves...

Ltrain,

It seems to me that the silver halves are cleaned out in your area so why not just become the silver dime king? :tongue3: You seem to be having some really good scores with dimes and you can get two boxes of dimes for the price of one half box. Sure, it takes 2 silver dimes to equal one 40%er in value but since you aren't really scoring any 40%ers so to speak maybe a change in strategy would make your CRHing more enjoyable???!!! Just my 2 cents, whatever it is worth! ;D

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:
 
Re: Todays Halves...

$ilver$urfer said:
Ltrain,

It seems to me that the silver halves are cleaned out in your area so why not just become the silver dime king? :tongue3: You seem to be having some really good scores with dimes and you can get two boxes of dimes for the price of one half box. Sure, it takes 2 silver dimes to equal one 40%er in value but since you aren't really scoring any 40%ers so to speak maybe a change in strategy would make your CRHing more enjoyable???!!! Just my 2 cents, whatever it is worth! ;D

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

I tried to get some banks to order me massive amounts of dimes, but they all refuse. If I can't get them to order me old half boxes, I'll give them up for dead and just stick to bags... Figure I'd be able to talk somebody into ordering me 10+ boxes of dimes a week... I'm doing about that right now but from a ton of different branches.

BTW, I'm posting pics of everything in a few minutes.
 
Re: Todays Halves...

It won't do you any good to ask for "oldest boxes possible". Just doesn't work that way.
HH
enamel7
 
Re: Todays Halves...

enamel7 said:
It won't do you any good to ask for "oldest boxes possible". Just doesn't work that way.
HH
enamel7

Brinks employee told me they'll pick from the bottom of the pallet if they're asked... That's why I'm gonna try it... can't hurt!

Here's the pics from the Nickels and dimes...

Everything...
IMAG0094.jpg


Circulated 60 and earlier...
IMAG0095.jpg


Uncirculated finds...
IMAG0098.jpg


The others...
IMAG0097.jpg


The dimes...
IMAG0096-1.jpg
 
Re: Todays Halves...

nice results on dimes and nicks... do u order either or just go get?
 
Re: Todays Halves...

d2arcing said:
nice results on dimes and nicks... do u order either or just go get?
I just go get 'em on a whim. My typical pickup as of late has been 1 box quarters, 1 box nickels, 2 boxes dimes... I'm pretty sure I've cleaned out most of the TD Banks around here, haha.
 
Great results and pics, especially with the dimes :icon_thumright: If you don't mind me asking, how do you dump $2k in halves + the dimes, quarters, etc. every week? I only have a few coin counters around me, and nearly every time I go I fill up the bags and it makes me feel like a big annoyance to the bank.
 
Syrys said:
Great results and pics, especially with the dimes :icon_thumright: If you don't mind me asking, how do you dump $2k in halves + the dimes, quarters, etc. every week? I only have a few coin counters around me, and nearly every time I go I fill up the bags and it makes me feel like a big annoyance to the bank.

I just deal with it. They're used to me, I'm used to them... I usually dump around $2k-$3k per week, but I've increased that substantially as of late... It's more like $10k a week now. I also move my dumps between four different branches of the same bank, so they will see me on average, about 2x a week.

The halves are a PITA to dump, though... thinking about finding somewhere else to dump them, since TD Banks' bags fill up every $100.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom