Today's initial find really sucked...

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Hi all,

This is the absolute worst! I drove over to the park I've been hitting last night to get some swinging in thinking I would maybe stay out for 3 hours. This is the park that has given me my first two LC's, first silver coin (quarter) and my first silver dime as well as two golds (ring and bracelet). I got there at 9:30 and this is what I found [emoji22]
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507999823.561183.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507999840.331391.jpg

They have it staked out and from what I can tell, it's going to convert a ton of park to walking areas (not dirt) and playground (not dirt). That means a ton of it is getting dug out. [emoji35]

So since last night was my last hurrah at this park (can't go tonight or Sunday), I hit it hard and for as long as I could and didn't leave until 4:00 this morning. Staying that late meant I was on this guys turf.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508000278.126042.jpg
Mr. Fox snuck up behind me while I was digging and was less than ten feet away when I caught him sneaking around. I took this pic after chasing him and establishing I'm the Alpha in this park [emoji36]. Last weekend there were two and they were coming at me from both sides (always when digging it seems). That spooked me a little. Didn't think foxes were that bold.

I am happy to say I did manage to rescue something worthwhile from the bulldozer. I scored a silver dime (1960) and the very next target was another LC (1915). Also had a few older pennies and a wheat but can't see dates on these yet. So those combined with a mountain of zincoins I guess gives my time at this park the best send off it can under the circumstances.

HH

Dig

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508000881.550402.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508000927.920531.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508000950.086720.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508000969.134792.jpg

Upvote 15

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's gotta' suck having your public hunting grounds taken away. Glad you were able to recover what you did. Any chance you can follow the dirt they remove for some more keepers?:hello:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Thanks atw and Scruggs. I have another park nearby which also showed up as farm in the late 1800's. No reason to think that one is hammered if this one wasn't.

I was thinking that was a Canadian LC but the date is in the wrong place. I think it's a British One Penny.

OP
OP
D

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
That's gotta' suck having you public hunting grounds taken away. Glad you were able to recover what you did. Any chance you can follow the dirt they remove for some more keepers?:hello:

That's what I'm thinkin'. Maybe turn this into a good thing. Lemons to lemonade.

Maybe. I'm going to go stop by through the week to see what they are doing and then go next weekend again to hit any moved dirt if it's still there.

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on some nice saves before it was all gone. Sorry about losing this one spot, but hopefully as they say where one door closes, another will open. Here is to more open doors than closed doors. Continued Success.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Become good friends with the work crew that will be doing the park make over and talk them into letting you detect the dirt they dig up. If they haul it away find out where they are taking it and see if you can detect it too.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Become good friends with the work crew that will be doing the park make over and talk them into letting you detect the dirt they dig up. If they haul it away find out where they are taking it and see if you can detect it too.

Amen! I am not too shy when speaking with construction workers as long as I don't interrupt them while they are busy. I don't believe I have ever been told NO, stay out of our disturbed dirt and rubble! LOL! Sometimes what appears a "negative" on the surface might actually become a positive as the deep stuff tends to get moved right onto the top for eyeball finds. Love me some construction projects every time!:headbang:

OP
OP
D

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used

Amen! I am not too shy when speaking with construction workers as long as I don't interrupt them while they are busy. I don't believe I have ever been told NO, stay out of our disturbed dirt and rubble! LOL! Sometimes what appears a "negative" on the surface might actually become a positive as the deep stuff tends to get moved right onto the top for eyeball finds. Love me some construction projects every time!:headbang:

Yeah, I'm really hoping they take their time for the next couple of weeks. With work, it'll be impossible to go on weeknights so unless the dirt is still sitting there next weekend, I'm probably S.O.L. That being said, it they haven't filled in the new pathways with granular and they haven't dug down to far, I'll follow those and see if it got rid of the trash/modern and left the goods. Each of my good finds at this park have been 8-10" down so maybe.

I might still get lucky. There's a chance the area I was getting good coins is spared. Last night I realized that all my good finds have come from the middle axis of this park. Almost like there was a path or something on the farm. The left green mark had the 1931 dime, the right had 2 LCs and quarter and the middle one was last nights dime and Brit penny. Everything above the red line is stripped down a couple of feet for houses now.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1508016651.199634.jpg

Chiltepin

Sep 25, 2017
Southwest US
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
I've seen this happen before others have too.
Talk to the construction company and see if they will allow you
to Detect during the "off hours"- slim chance but tell them
you want to "Preserve History". :laughing7:

You might get some finds when they disturb and grade the soil.

Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread